Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Archery:Inexpensive fun and competition;also.....

I am not into archery at all but expect that it would be a grand hobby. It might be a good fit for young people to learn and then grow with. The sport can be inexpensive. There are clubs, competition, and interest. There are many aspects of the sport. And, not too many liberals that are anti-archery.

The Golden Gate Park had an outdoor cycle-drome, and casting pools (fishing equipment) .All left from the Olympics. San Mateo had an outdoor 50 foot range for rimfire years ago. I have no idea what California has for firearms shooting now. It is a very restrictive state;Thank you, Feinstein et al.

I have read that in England, they count out every 22 round issued in competition and nobody leaves until every round and empty case is turned in.Where, when, and the truth , I do not know; I did read this somewhere tho. Edit: One time, an empty case dropped into a crack, they did not readily find it and the authority types went nuts until it was finally found.

When in the military, do not walk off the range with ammo. You will regret it.
    Last edited by SUPERX-M1; 08-04-2020 at 06:11.

I was in England when there was a newspaper story that -- Oh, My GOD! A live .22 short was found in the street!!

I used to shoot 3D archery back in the 90's. Even back then equipment was starting to get expensive.

4. Default

3D and hunting compound bows are expensive, also top flight archery target equipment. Less elite target recurve and other target bows are not. They are affordable and last for decades.

You can start out inexpensive and I think most folks should. Learn the basics first. It gets pricey once you improve and want better scores. Then the prices soar if you become competitive and want to remain in the game. At least there are different classes in tournaments. Some local leagues also take into account experience, equipment, and shooting style.
    For the most part, if you can't keep 5 arrows inside a half dollar sized circle at 25 yards on a fairly regular basis, then your chances of winning the season are slim.

On the other hand, I have seen novice shooters loaded up with top end gear who couldn't take advantage of it. Heavy investment with little joy. Like buying $200 baseball bats without knowing how to approach the plate.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

6. Default

Mr. White: Does competition archery equipment become obsolete?

Would you give us a very loose, general idea of the total costs involved from beginner level equipment to going up a few stages of competitive gear?

Are most shooters satisfied with staying at lower levels- more of a recreational level?

Do most new shooters stay in the sport, or do they move on?

Thanks for your input, more information that we can use.

Edit: Perhaps, equipment that is used could be obtained for less. Well, it has to be a cheaper sport than golf with heavy greens fees, sporting clays, rifle events with ammunition costs....very expensive equipment.
    Last edited by SUPERX-M1; 08-04-2020 at 02:03.

7. Default

Archery was an absolute blast when I was a kid. Though I usually spent most Sundays at the 1930's era CDTC Smallbore/Pistol range in Pasadena, CA with my dad and brothers, (most awesome range I've ever known and long since vanished) some weekdays and SOME weekends were archery days. I was a mere lad then and used 25 to 35 pound self bows at ranges of no more than 75 yards, and though I had a blast I had no competition... eventually it killed archery for me.

I did however find a very fun way to teach myself snap shooting at indeterminate ranges. All that you need is about six tennis balls, a boat load (or over fifty) of blunt or field tipped arrows, an open field, and some time. Toss a ball to a little distance, shoot it, and again, and again, and so on until your cutoff shot (after x misses at x distance... new ball). Odds are that you'll never shoot the same range again in any day week or year. On light wind days it's a good time to start shooting 360° to work your 'snap' windage guesstimation too.

You'll learn how close is 'too close' to start after you slay a few innocent tennis balls, there's a 'too close' even for blunt tips.

Archery was NEVER as easy as Errol Flynn made it look!
    Last edited by LavaTech; 08-04-2020 at 03:27. Reason: accuracy
    Appleseed Project: Where marksmanship meets history and the heritage begins.
    Revolutionary War Veterans Associationhttp://www.appleseedinfo.org/
    Paying Tribute To April 19, 1775 Through Awareness, Learning & Marksmanship.

Lots of newfangled equipment since I shot competetive in the 90's. But I can still hold the 10 ring at 50 yards so why upgrade, and that's with aluminum arrows

Quote Originally Posted by LavaTech View Post

Archery was NEVER as easy as Errol Flynn made it look!
    Nor is it -- but if you've never killed a deer with an arrow, you've never been hunting.

10. Default

I have heard that there are some dudes that kill pigs with a knife or spear. And a Masaii tribesman went after a lion with spear-ifrc a manhood ritual. They have found some pointed wood spears almost 500,000 years old-Homo Heidelbergensis. Now the big game snipers want to take on deer and elk at 1000 yards.

Yes, I know, we are discussing archery , but still interesting. Vern's comment got me started.