Default Loading 9mm bullets instead of 38/357

Just curious.

With all the panic buying and hoarding going on now with ammo and reloading components I was wondering if 9mm bullets (.355) could be substituted for 38/357 (.357) providing the bullets had a cannelure and appropriate weight.

The reason I'm asking is I see much more of the 9mm bullets for sale on-line vs the .357 bullets.

Also, I see a lot of used barrels and pistol kits (on-line) primarily S&W 38/357 that have cracked barrels at the forcing cone. Wouldn't the .355 bullets be better in this regard?

Bottom line: Would the .002 difference be that noticeable in regards to accuracy, blow by or bullet stripping? Also, if they can be used, a slightly heavier charge could be loaded I'm sure.

It will depend on the revolver the rounds are being fired in and how deep their rifling is cut. Many years ago I tried this very idea out. The bullets were .355 diameter
    and fired in a Ruger. Target looked like it had been hit by a shotgun blast and this was at 50 feet. Be aware that some makers of bullets use .354 diameter which just makes things even worse. If you were shooting something at 10 feet it may work but beyond that forget it. Increasing the powder charge will only make the bullets skid down the barrel faster and will not aid in accuracy at all. Some barrels are not .357 diameter but .358 and combined with a bullet that is .354 well the .002 is now .004. Now if you can find some over sized 9mm bullets then those may work but again not as well as one made for the .38 diameter. Oh and the reason you see more 9mm then .38 bullets is demand for the .38 has decreased so much in the past 15 years.

Thanks for the reply Tuna. I figured someone, somewhere had tried it.

I was aware of why more 9mm bullets existed. That's why I inquired about the usage.

My original question was about copper jacketed bullets and you understood that (I wasn't clear). Cast bullets would be a whole different issue since you can size them to suit, within specs that is. But if you're going to cast why not just use a .357/.358 mold in the first place huh?

The .002--.004 obviously can make a big difference. Bigger than I realized.
    Last edited by Gun Smoke; 07-29-2020 at 07:34.

For what it’s worth . . . .

Many years ago, I slugged my Browning High Power (1971 commercial model), a friend’s P’08, and his P’38, both German Military.

To my surprise, they ALL slugged at .357”!

So-o-o-o . . .

I made my 9mm cast bullets and sized them to .357” . . . No issues!

Asbestos suit now ON!

5. Default

Use a taper crimp and not a roll crimp, wouldn't need crimp groove. True?

6. Default

Yes you can, look up super vel. I'm not going to waste any more of my time.