Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Interesting rifle. Could be an early ‘03? It appears to have a pre-WW1 straight handle bolt and a single gas escape hole. The finish looks odd. The serial number isn’t within the blocks of numbers assigned to the arsenals.
    Last edited by Merc; 07-26-2020 at 04:31.

2. Default

Serial number is bogus and not original to that receiver.

Is it just me, or does that SF prefix raise the Santa Fe alarm bells? If they started with 100k it would be a low number from a possible small batch.
    Not saying I know. Only that's what crossed my mind upon seeing it.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Is it just me, or does that SF prefix raise the Santa Fe alarm bells? If they started with 100k it would be a low number from a possible small batch.
    Not saying I know. Only that's what crossed my mind upon seeing it.
    JB - Good to hear from you again.

Tell me more about Santa Fe. I was thinking the rifle could be an early prototype but couldn’t find anything on the SF In the serial number.

The name Santa Fe came to my attention regarding the "Jungle Carbines" made up from SMLE and No4 British rifles. (Long story there) marketed by Golden State Arms.
    Since that time the trade name has been used for other rifles. Nat Ord comes to mind regarding 1903's and such.

Not saying there is the connection here. Only suspicion reflex on my part. Hence my question. Hoping to learn something one way or the other.

Good to see you still hanging around on the site, Merc.

Default unknown 1903 receiver

It is not worth the money or the risk shooting something unknown such as this SF marked receiver.
    There are too many nice 1903's around without taking a chance

early 1903 rifles were serial numbered in large serifP1010051_0043.jpgP1010052_0044.jpg numbers

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    It is not worth the money or the risk shooting something unknown such as this SF marked receiver.
    There are too many nice 1903's around without taking a chance

early 1903 rifles were serial numbered in large serifP1010051_0043.jpgP1010052_0044.jpg numbers
    Totally agree. What’s an early M1903 with a 4 digit serial number worth?

Default early four digit 1903's

Really not worth alot, mine came from the CMP auction and were built-up using period parts.

I do enjoy shooting them at 25 feet with 32ACP or 32 S&W

s/n 3670 has a SA 6-16 barrel, early bolt H I and modified rod bayonet stock with single bolt

s/n 4918 has a SA 2-18 barrel and SA double bolt stock with POD D and BA-WL rebuild stamps

photo shows target at around 20 or 25 ft, fun to shoot indoorsP1010016.jpg

9. Default

The Santa Fe serial numbers started somewhere around the 5 million range (past where U.S. military 03-A3 rifle serial numbers ended.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The Santa Fe serial numbers started somewhere around the 5 million range (past where U.S. military 03-A3 rifle serial numbers ended.)
    Good to know. Thanks for that..