Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Boy, I would like to lose 65 pounds, but, I don't know what I would do with the extra skin!

I would buy an autographed copy of "The Hosmer Gun Collection" and I don't even own a Coffee Table.

But, then again FWIW, I like pictures, books, toy trains, historic guns, and Dick Hosmer.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-25-2020 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Hi Dick
    Sounds interesting. Maybe you could walk us through the project. Still trying to get started on the Lee Navy book, but stuck in not knowing where to start.
    Just jump in! For my first book - done by North Cape - I was kind of overwhelmed by Joe Poyer's "special editing software" and his "fussy" picture process. When he decided to retire and essentially close down NCP, he chose not to do my second book. I was initially dismayed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Ed Hull helped me out quite a bit by noting that he had done his books on a Mac, using only "Pages" and "Preview". Since I have the same equipment, things worked well. I would, of course, suggest organizing your text first, as that will tell you what you need to show in the way of pictures (I've taken the liberty of assuming you are contemplating something like Gene Myskowski's or mine - if you were after something like Dusan Farrington's massive [and VERY well-done] tome the process is similar but more complicated.

What kind of computer/software do you have? Any modern word-proccesor will do what you want. As to pics, you need to be able to crop, resize, and sometimes enhance them, but buying an expensive program such as Photoshop would be massive overkill. I used a 5mp Olympus (state of the art at the time) with tripod, etc. For my current train book I used my iPhone, handheld, and the pictures turned out great. There are some tricks to shooting long guns without shadows, and you will probably want rig a simple holding fixture to act as a third hand for closeups. Don't put it off, and don't be afraid to start. You can do it! I'll be glad to help you, via email.

3. Default

Hi Dick
    Laptop is Windows based. Purchased a good Nikon camera and will buy a good macro lens. Have started on the text, but just started. I have almost all I need to photograph. I have spoken with Gene and he had sent me most of his data. There are still a lot of holes in the development history, but not sure they can be filled.
    Is the Apple based computer and software a must? I know Ed and actually supplied him with photos of my Robert’s conversion muskets for one of his previous books.

No, a Mac is absolutely NOT required, it just happens to be what Ed and I both use.

Word will a fine job for the text - I don't know the name of the Windoze equivalent to Preview, but I'm sure there is one.

Dick I would like to have copy of your collection book.I still go back to the Peck collection auction catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    Dick I would like to have copy of your collection book.I still go back to the Peck collection auction catalog.
    Well, while I thank you for your support, you probably won't be too impressed with mine, then! Mr. Peck clearly had plenty of discretionary money, while my collection was based on a lot of skipped lunches and vacations not taken. I'm still juggling the layout in my mind. I've considered that, while it is not the primary reason for doing it, if properly laid out, it COULD serve as a sort of catalog. That would require giving each item an individual number, which would definitely need to be WELL organized before assigning them. I'd thought of giving each arm a whole page, but that might get unwieldy.

The whole thing which put this idea in my head, is the drastic decrease in the cost of color printing - my forthcoming train book (am expecting last proof in a couple of days) will cost but $10.16 to print. The collection book will be 25-50% larger, so it is still doable.

Amazon gives authors a 60% royalty, based on whatever the retail price is.

For "self-fulfilled" orders, such as autographed copies, or those for friends, you just buy the books at the low printing cost plus shipping, and sell them for whatever you want (but it wouldn't be wise to ask more than Amazon's retail price!)

For Amazon-fulfilled" orders, you just sit back and bank the (lesser amount of) money, with NO work whatsoever.

I'll reiterate, for Kragrifle and any other budding authors, that you can put a good-looking book on the market for ZERO up-front expenditure (other than a LOT of time).
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 08-28-2020 at 05:25. Reason: clarity

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    A question - since I'm going to be severely thinning my collection...
    When you start doing that, please don't forget I'm STILL looking for a pre-'99 rifle (any model) with a 1901 sight.

KCA Forum still in process of "BUILDING BACK BETTER ... WHATEVER".

Old stuff can be accessed and read, but, I miss the Community of nice guys!

I felt the need, a couple of times, to violate the Administrators' polite request to abstain from new postings while site is being worked on.

I thought it necessary to acknowledge a 'New Guy', so he didn't feel 'shunned', and to caution a Re-loader on a potential danger .... It felt good!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-30-2020 at 10:50.

I have stayed TOTALLY off the site, but miss it.

10. Default

We are finally back up. Previously registered members will need to reset your log in info
    kragcollectorsassociation.org
    Last edited by Ned Butts; 09-04-2020 at 05:25.