1. Default Sporter front sight conversion

Has anybody had any luck removing one of the slip on sporter front sights on a 1903 Springfield? I would like to get back to orginal and I know some of these slip on front sights were easier than others to do this. I do not have the rifle yet, but looking for advice.

Blog Entries

I've not, but have seen several varieties of slip on sights,

some were soldered on

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I've not, but have seen several varieties of slip on sights,

some were soldered on
    Either soldered, or pinned to the brl. as the original brl. band was attached. Since both the blade & blade base ("stud") were easily changed to install a bead or globe, these slip-on ramps were unnecessary as well as ugly.

I’ve done a few. Look for a small set screw on some others if tapped a few times carefully without doing damage to the barrel will break the solder. Just look at it closely they come off easily.

5. Default

Appreciate the input. Have not received rifle yet, but I suspect the original sight band was removed, so it will be difficult to replace and match finish.

Very difficult if the original front sight key ( was part of the barrel ) has been removed.

Blog Entries

Keys are an easy find,
    if the barrel was turned and the keyway or slot was removed, then yes,

8. Default

Received the rifle. Looks like the in addition to the removal of the front sight sleeve the sporter sight was brazed on. The finish actually looks totally original on the whole barrel including the new front sight so the conversion was very well done. Will leave the barrel/front sight as is and work to find a little nicer sporter stock.
    Thanks to all for the input.