Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 03 drill rifle receiver

Hi All
    So I have a low number 03 rifle receiver that was made into a drill rifle. It was stripped for parts and there is a bit of damage to the cutoff switch area. I know that some were reactivating the drill rifles, but seeing as this has a double wammy on it (welded from drill mod and low number) is there any value to it ? If not how can I dispose of it seeing as it still has a SN# on it? Can I just cut it up and toss it in the scrap pile?

Thanks
    Old Sarge

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Hi All
    Can I just cut it up and toss it in the scrap pile?

Thanks
    Old Sarge
    Hope you won't--there's surely somebody out there that can use. If it's been "dewatted" by welding, I believe it's no longer considered a firearm, absurd as it is that a receiver alone can be regulated as a "firearm." Even without the welding, it would be classified as a "curio & relic," meaning it can be freely traded between those possessing C&R permits.

3. Default

Instead of destroying it, slap a plastic stock on it and give it to someone who wants a wall-hanger.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Instead of destroying it, slap a plastic stock on it and give it to someone who wants a wall-hanger.
    Will take a lot more than a plastic stock even to make a wall-hanger. But if it's worth someone's while to re-weld a chopped Garand rcvr., maybe this one too is worth the work of rebuilding. But even keeping it as paper-weight beats destroying it!

It’s worth selling and someone can rebuild it. I have done a few it’s not difficult. The switch usually isn’t welded it’s either brazed or cold welded and can be removed and replaced. The area that was covered in filling material with a little work and patience can be repaired. The barrel is usually cold welded or brazed in a small area also that is very easy to remove the barrel replace it with a good barrel as the barrel is usually cut and not usable and the receiver is easily repaired. I was a welder so I also know that these two areas were not over heated because the welds are not melted into the receiver. It’s called a cold weld. It did not over heat or turn the receiver red anywhere. By the way the feds still consider it a firearm you would have to go through a FFL to sell it. The biggest problem is finding parts as there are less available now than a few years ago and the cost is too high. I would sell it on gunbroker or somewhere similar just as it is. Be patient someone will buy it.
    Last edited by louis; 07-05-2020 at 04:47.

Blog Entries

would be a good start on a low powered custom build,

nice 22 hornet,

saw one a guy had converted to 45acp

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    It’s worth selling and someone can rebuild it.
    If he's talking about destroying it, he ought to be happy to GIVE it to someone willing to invest the great amount of skill, labor, & time it would take to restore it.

Lyman. I’ve converted a couple to 22 cal they work great. And you don’t need a Springfield 1922 barrel. But if you can find one there is less work involved. These should not be destroyed they do have a useful life.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    If he's talking about destroying it, he ought to be happy to GIVE it to someone willing to invest the great amount of skill, labor, & time it would take to restore it.
    Excellent idea. I hope he agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Lyman. I’ve converted a couple to 22 cal they work great. And you don’t need a Springfield 1922 barrel. But if you can find one there is less work involved. These should not be destroyed they do have a useful life.
    With your advanced level of expertise, you sound like the right person to save this rifle. Sarge should consider giving the rifle to you for restoration.