Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Well, they're not U.S. Military guns. They were purchased by the State of Ohio for the National Guard. If the Guard were to be federalized I would think they would then be issued weapons by the U.S. Military, particularly if they were to do duty out of the country. They would never take these ONG marked shotguns with them.

2. Default

Yes the State of the Ohio purchased the guns for the Guard to be used for S.A.D. (State Active Duty) if the Guard was deployed in the State of Ohio under orders from the Governor the guns could be issued for that duty such as civil disobedience prison riots or natural disasters but if the Guard is Federalized then they fall under the Department of the Army and since the guns are state property they cannot be deployed with the unit thus there would be no combat role for the shotguns
    In the past few years some states have started surplusing out their shotguns the State of Texas surplused Remington 870 riot guns and Winchester 1200 riot guns with 18" barrels probably 15 plus years ago the State of Arizona surplused their shotguns just a few years ago they were Savage model 69RH riot guns and also the State of Kansas sold off their Remington 870's riot guns with a 20" barrel and rifle sights with the mag tube extension those are the only states I know of that have sold off their shotguns other than the State of Ohio
    Last edited by JJM; 09-19-2020 at 07:00.

3. Default

One of my ONG folders has no bayonet lug and it has the shorter tube.

4. Default

First of all Happy 4th of July weekend
    Was the gun purchased from the vendor who originally sold them or on the secondary market also what are the first three digits of the serial number and what is the barrel code that will tell you if the barrel matches the serial number for the production date then I can give you a little bit of history on the guns

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Yes the State of the Ohio purchased the guns for the Guard to be used for S.A.D. (State Active Duty) if the Guard was deployed in the State of Ohio under orders from the Governor the guns could be issued for that duty such as civil disobedience prison riots or natural disasters but if the Guard is Federalized then they fall under the department of the Army and since the guns are state property they cannot be deployed with the unit thus there would be no combat role for the shotguns
    In the past few years some states have started surplusing out their shotguns the State of Texas surplused Remington 870 riot guns and Winchester 1200 riot guns with 18" probably 15 plus years ago the State of Arizona surplused their shotguns just a few years ago they were Savage model 69RH riot guns and also the State of Kansas sold off their Remington 870's riot guns with a 20" barrel and rifle sights with the mag tube extension those are the only states I know of that have sold off their shotguns other than the State of Ohio
    Some National Guards don't use or have their own State purchased weapons. They use weapons issued to them by the federal government. I would think if those Guards were federalized they could take those federal issued weapons with them wherever they go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by colt thompson View Post
    One of my ONG folders has no bayonet lug and it has the shorter tube.
    That sounds like an interesting variation you have there. Would love to know more about it.

6. Default

Yes you're quite right a lot of Guard units have been issued Federally owned shotguns so there is no restrictions on their mission use
    I believe that the OHARNG were issued Mossberg's and the M26 MASS so they were able to dispose of their 870's

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Awhile back I picked up a nice original and correct OHARNG 870 riot gun with an 20" barrel with bead sight without the bayonet adapter and the extended magazine for a very reasonable price. It has the typical ONG in the outline of the State of Ohio markings. I would post some photos of it if I can figure out how to do it
    Here you go, Jeff. These few pics below from a recently completed auction will illustrate the folding stock version of the Ohio NG M870s. Not my gun, but I lifted the pics to provide some badly needed images for this thread.

BTW, while these are indeed martial weapons in a general sense I agree that these should be considered State owned guns and not USGI guns.

Regards,
    Charlie Flick

8. Default

That's an interesting one, Charlie. Jeff's ONG riot gun w/o bayonet adaptor has a fixed buttstock. All the other ONG riots w/o adaptors I've seen also had fixed buttstocks.

Hello Tom:

Good to see you here on the Forum. It seems like it has been a long time since we have communicated. Hope all is well with you.

Here are a couple of pics of the Trenchgun version Ohio NG M870s. (Again, this one is not my gun either.) It features the bayonet adapter you mentioned, the fixed stock and sling swivels.

Regards,
    Charlie

10. Default

The folder shown above by Charlie was my gun that I mentioned in this thread last July. I consigned it to Larry to sell on GB. I still have a full tube/bayonet lug ONG folder and full stock