1. Default Curio and Relics transfer

I recently sold a C&R semi-auto rifle to a guy from Washington. Washington laws require a transfer of a firearm to a Washington resident be made by a Class 01 BATFE licensed dealer. I have a C&R license so I transferred the rifle to his licensed dealer, the dealer did the background check, transfer to the buyer and held the rifle for the required waiting period. I told this young man if he got a C&R license I could have done a transfer to him C&R licensee to C&R licensee, which is how I understand the rules. The dealer said he thought we would still have to do a transfer through a licensed dealer. Of course the dealer wouldn't get a transfer fee if we both had C&R licenses so I think he is wrong about that. I am in Idaho and I believe it is legal for me to sell a C&R eligible rifle to someone from Washington with a C&R without going through a Washington dealer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Good question.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    I recently sold a C&R semi-auto rifle to a guy from Washington. Washington laws require a transfer of a firearm to a Washington resident be made by a Class 01 BATFE licensed dealer. I have a C&R license so I transferred the rifle to his licensed dealer, the dealer did the background check, transfer to the buyer and held the rifle for the required waiting period. I told this young man if he got a C&R license I could have done a transfer to him C&R licensee to C&R licensee, which is how I understand the rules. The dealer said he thought we would still have to do a transfer through a licensed dealer. Of course the dealer wouldn't get a transfer fee if we both had C&R licenses so I think he is wrong about that. I am in Idaho and I believe it is legal for me to sell a C&R eligible rifle to someone from Washington with a C&R without going through a Washington dealer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Send a TWX to the BATF and ask them.
    Sam

Per this thread, C&R for eligible firearms is one of the allowed exceptions in WA state law.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...ctions.256334/

I did also find a WA state PDF and search on the word "collector" and found reference to the same exception.

Entirely possible that a WA Type 01 would not pick up on this. But yes C&Rs can still operate in WA state, it appears.

Blog Entries

each state has it's only little rules re a C&R,

Cali for example, all handguns (regardless or antique or C&R) go thru a dealer, not a C&R,

google, like togor did, can be your friend, but it also can bite you,

the link posted is from 2017, so may not be current enough

searching Washington State semi auto c&R and I found a 2019 posting that may be better for you

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...-r-ffl.303799/

Reminds me why I let my type 3 expire years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Reminds me why I let my type 3 expire years ago.
    just need to be careful giving other folks links to help,

intentions good, results, not

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    each state has it's only little rules re a C&R,

Cali for example, all handguns (regardless or antique or C&R) go thru a dealer, not a C&R,

google, like togor did, can be your friend, but it also can bite you,

the link posted is from 2017, so may not be current enough

searching Washington State semi auto c&R and I found a 2019 posting that may be better for you

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...-r-ffl.303799/
    Thanks lyman, what I read there says to me I can sell with my C&R to a Washington C&R holder which is what I thought.