Default M14 bolt roller clip ring tool and other homemade stuff.

There have been a number of adaptations of the M14 bolt roller retaining ring installation tools over the years, mostly made by grinding down pliers of different shapes and drilling the proper hole for the bolt roller shaft. I have made a bunch of these and never quite found one that would work the way I wanted it to. Always seem the smooth surface in the hole would allow the clip to slip out just as I was trying to put the roller into place.
    Soooo, in the middle of the night a number of years ago after installing a pile of clips, I came up with an inexpensive solution that works perfectly for me.

Took set of small locking hemostats , warmed the jaws and formed them around the proper size drill bit. Now, easy squeezy, slip the clip over the bolt roller support into the recess and clip the tool in place and lock. That frees up that spare hand that has been trying to hold the clip. The bolt can be held in one hand the the roller pushed into place with the thumb. The serrations on the inside of the jaws hold the clip wonderfully.

Last edited by nf1e; 06-29-2020 at 03:32.

2. Default

Great idea, will try. Thanks for posting.

Would make a good You-Tube video. A brief video of making the tool then removal and installation of the roller and clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
    Would make a good You-Tube video. A brief video of making the tool then removal and installation of the roller and clip.
    That would be a very short video. 30 seconds to heat and bend the tips and 5 seconds to install the new roller.

Default M14 bolt roller clip ring tool and other homemade stuff.

A few more reasonable additions to the amateur M14 hobby shop that needed something specific.

1. Front sight filing guide.

2. Chamber polishing case. Also used to debur and polish the mag feed lips for precision smooth cartridge feeding and chambering.

3. Op rod guide install tool. Brass thick walled steam pipe from the 1800s.

One more pretty cool tool is using a 28mm diamond core bit to shorten shoulders on a barrel that hand times too far off to index. Neat thing is this tool does a very nice undercut so it works great.

Last edited by nf1e; 06-29-2020 at 03:31.

Better photos of home made front sight blade filing guide. Fashioned for 1/4" square stock 4" long. I like to put a chunk of electrical tape over the ears as protection from the file. Angle of the cut that I like is a little steeper than most would prefer. Works great to keep the top of the blade flat and level.