Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Dick
    I posted this rifle a while back for an SRS check. I don't have the complete serial number at hand but turned out this rifle was confiscated alien property back during WW2
    Seems this rifle has made a long journey but was well taken care of.

2. Default

Always wondered why (in addition to small number produced) 1870 ramrods were so rare on the loose.

3. Default M1873 Original and correct

More pictures showing the serial number. The "MASS" stamp probably explains why it remained in nice condition. It probably spent most of its life in one of the Massachusetts Armories.M73-20 (1024x768).jpgm73-21 (1024x768).jpgM73-23 (1024x768).jpg

Thanks for Posting those photos.
    I consider mine produced in 1876 but it could also be an 1875 produced as could yours?? There is no observed final serial number for 1875 and 1876 final serial number is 74215.
    Maybe Dick would know which year it was produced?

5. Default

Dick, how were the rods modified?

As far as I know, the heads were just turned down slightly and the cannelures were added. This would have involved annealing and retempering, but it still saved a number of the basic operations. Remember they figured to the mil back then, and waste was a sin - no $500 hammers! Do not know when the changeover occurred, but my guess would be they paid little attention and just used what they had until they ran out. If you have examples of both 7 and 6-ring cannelured rods you can check the diameters - my stuff is stashed away just now. So, there are at least three distinct variations of the '73 rod prior to the smooth head, which MAY have first shown up on the Hotchkiss: 7R flat, 6R flat, 6R cupped.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 06-21-2020 at 09:01.

Did you chack the known Custer 7th Cavalry list, might be a close one!!!!

Especially today the anniversary. We are six years from the 150th anniversary.