Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1873...Original and Correct

Very nice. What did you plan to ask? Don't want to mislead you - I'd not be a buyer at this point (many years ago I'd have had serious interest in that sort of condition) but would like to see how the market sits.

Dick,
    Having never seen another one this nice, I was thinking about $2,000.00

It's better than mine! I hope you get your price!

If you want to update your ramrod to be appropriate for the early 1873 model, you may be able to find someone who is willing to do a swap for your (what appears to be) Model 1868. I think the value is similar for each model so you may only need to confirm originality for each one. At any rate, it shouldn't be a significant cost difference vs buying a replacement outright.

Quote Originally Posted by 70ish View Post
    If you want to update your ramrod to be appropriate for the early 1873 model, you may be able to find someone who is willing to do a swap for your (what appears to be) Model 1868. I think the value is similar for each model so you may only need to confirm originality for each one. At any rate, it shouldn't be a significant cost difference vs buying a replacement outright.
    HUhh??? Nothing wrong with that rod - definitely a '73 rod - however, I did recheck the s/n (for some reason I was thinking it was a 4-digit) because it is not the earliest 1873 rod, having but 6 rings. The first ones (being modified 1870s) had 7 rings. That said, while I hope I'm wrong, $2000 MIGHT be a little ambitious for a 5-digit gun, even though it is a very nice specimen.

What is the full serial#? I cannot see the numbers clearly. I have an somewhat early model 1873 that is also in very nice shape. Although there is no cartouche it does however have a very strong circle P and completely correct. It is in the 64000 range manufactured 1876. It has a medium U on the lower barrel band which was transitional between the small u and large U according to Al Frasca.
    I have see rifles with 5 digits run anywhere from 1200.00 and up.
    I however got an awesome deal off gun broker for 850.00 on mine, no other bidders!!

Nice rifle, Carl. I always wonder how each particular specimen that turns up in the present day managed to escape the great recall. And, in the same vein, I'll look at one of my rifles and think, where were you the day I was born? The day my father was born? Even - with my 68/68 - the day my grandfather was born. Interesting to ponder.