Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC sniper

Default USMC sniper

I have no skin in this game. Just curious if this is a legitimate sniper.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869986867

I vote not legitimate.

J.B.

3. Default

No. Someone paying 16k for a fake will be disappointed.

4. Default

Should the bolt and bolt handle be bright? On a National Match or a Sporter, yes, but that seems odd in a rifle intended for combat.

Also, those mounts appear to be the correct type, but all the ones I have seen in the past have been blued. Is that finish correct?

Blog Entries

looks to me like, as mentioned, a parts gun,

too many finish variations, (example the brown windage knob and magazine floor plate, vs the barrel and rear sight for example) for me to think otherwise

2,176.50 sold. OOPS wrong 03 the Marine Pearl harbor sold for this.
    Last edited by Tom Trevor; 06-15-2020 at 02:52.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    2,176.50 sold.
    What? Sold for $16,500+. However, it was worth every penny, because not only is it "blue chip," according to seller's modest description, it's "super rare"! Got to step up to the plate for "super rare."

Sure wish Steve Norton was still around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    What? Sold for $16,500+. However, it was worth every penny, because not only is it "blue chip," according to seller's modest description, it's "super rare"! Got to step up to the plate for "super rare."

Sure wish Steve Norton was still around.
    yep $16525,

the scope and blocks are probably worth half that, or close,

CplNorton is still around, just not here that often

I need to check over here more often. lol I've been fixing up an old 68 Camaro to take my kids cruising in, so that has been occupying my time lately.

But no I concur the rifle has no chance of being real. We actually have a Unertl group and several pointed out some of the bidding looked suspicious.

His description too, well I have no clue where he is getting that info from, but none of the history he describes of the Marine Sniper program is accurate either. Like how he describes SA built the Marines a 1000 snipers, and put in a order for an additional 2500.

The Marines received 1750 scopes and only converted for sure 250 of the 1047 NM rifles they started the program with. It never details exactly for sure how many were converted as even the Marines Corps didn't know in 1945. But it states they never converted them all.

My own personal opinion is they probably only converted the 250 and not many more. Only the first four Marine Divisions had them and each Division received roughly 50. So the 250 shipped to the Pacific in 1943 were more than enough to outfit the four Divisions. Even looking at the counts of the rifles in the Divisions, the 250 was way more than they needed. Especially since they really weren't used much till Okinawa.

Also in 1951 the Marines state they can not supply the required 100 Unertl Snipers to each Marine Division as prescribed by the T/O. Which there were only 2 Marine Divisions at that time. So it seems to imply that less than 200 Unertl Snipers existed in 1951 in the Marine Corps.

Unfortunately someone will learn a hard lesson on buying this.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 06-15-2020 at 03:34.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Unfortunately someone will learn a hard lesson on buying this.
    Not so sure about that, Steve. Maybe some day, if he runs into someone like you. But he obviously swallowed the seller's "super rare" hype hook, line, & sinker. Over & over I've seen, the thicker the BS is spread, the more greedily it's lapped up.