Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Robert E Lee

Default Robert E Lee

Everyone knows that name. There is a statue in Virginia that honors the General. It's a beautiful work. Some want to tear it down. Yeah, I get it, it's about war. It's about slavery. It's about white men who carry guns. Now they want to tear it down. Did it every occur to all those who want to do so much good that they could visit the statue and give it a good looking over and give some thought to why the statue is there. Instead, they remind me of the Taliban or whoever who blew up the mammoth Budda. The Budda probably was there for a thousand years or so. Things move faster these days. Lee has a ten day injunction.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/...5a73b8775.html

How do you move a 12 ton statue?

Northam ordered the removal of the Lee monument last week amid nationwide protests sparked by the death of Floyd, a black man in Minneapolis who died after a white officer jammed his knee into his neck for nearly nine minutes.
    Last edited by dryheat; 06-09-2020 at 02:39.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

lee was a great american. even before he fought for the "other side." this is a travesty, brought on by ignorance.

They won't be happy until they erase the civil war out of history!
    M1a1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!

Wasn't there another group of people recently who went about destroying history that they didn't agree with?
    Sam

When are statues of MLK going to be torn down? Though I understand his cause he was a racist and was the cause of numerous violent riots.

He was not even an elected official or general---just a self appointed "speaker" like Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

Found this old post of his, which makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert E. Lee
    I think it wiser not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
    When are statues of MLK going to be torn down? Though I understand his cause he was a racist and was the cause of numerous violent riots.

He was not even an elected official or general---just a self appointed "speaker" like Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.
    That MLK statue in D.C. offends me it is just a huge P.O.S.

Blog Entries

apparently a Judge has put a stay to the removal,

it will now go thru the courts,

I've posted this elsewhere, not sure if on Jouster,

RVA has a history for the past 50+ yrs of being a bit too much like Baltimore or DC in the way those elected into government behave,

corruption, yep, but not to the same degree
    petty bickering, yep, but that happens everywhere,

perpetually offended, every day and then some,

so instead of looking South, they can only look North (all the statues face north, BTW)

why look south?

SC , specifically Charleston, has roughly the same history as RVA,

Rev War,
    Slave trade
    Civil War
    limited 1812 stuff,

they (Charleston) have learned how to capitalize it, and bring in the tourist $$$

we, (RVA) wanna be butthurt over it, piss/moan about it, and tear stuff down that be used to make cash to improve lots of stuff,

but no,

we want to be sooo much like Baltimore, NY DC Etc,

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post

You left out "Communist." But he was the greatest demagogue this country ever produced! And what makes you think statues of Jessie & Al won't be next?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    That MLK statue in D.C. offends me it is just a huge P.O.S.
    No arrests made (or attempted) for the vandalization of other DC monuments; what kind of frenzy would result if the same was done to THIS masterpiece of sheer ugliness?