Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Our brave heel spur hereo

Friday night your war leader ran to the bunker for an hour....Guess he was afraid to hear free speech....Did you see Melania's half second smile at the photo op at Pope John Paul II shrine....Yeah, she is a happy camper.....What a price to pay to have your parents receive a green card....I wonder if they are still in the US....

Decisions about when to go to the bunker are made by the Secret Service, not by the President.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Decisions about when to go to the bunker are made by the Secret Service, not by the President.
    Who works for who? I mean, if a POTUS wanted to stop the motorcade sometime and step into the crowd & accept the security risk that goes with that, can they physically veto his decision?

General question unrelated to any specific officeholder or situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    And that's WHY it is there.

They don't normally make presidents sit on top of a flag pole when there is civil unrest going on.

The bunker and tunnels are old. Many presidents before Trump have used them and many will in the future.

Blog Entries

please put the political threads in the political section, not gun talk,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Who works for who? I mean, if a POTUS wanted to stop the motorcade sometime and step into the crowd & accept the security risk that goes with that, can they physically veto his decision?

General question unrelated to any specific officeholder or situation.
    The POTUS never stops a motorcade to press the flesh because the Secret Service does in fact have a de facto veto on that sort of thing. I don't think any President since the Kennedy assassination has attempted to override that. When the Secret Service says "Mr. President its time to hit the bunker" or Mr. President its time to 'get out of Dodge'" he does it. Both of those things happened on 911. Sometimes the value of the value of the President's life negates what the President wants to do that day.

Speaking of the Kennedy assassination, riding in that open car was a political decision made by Kennedy and that was the point at which the authority of the Secret Service on security became, from what I understand, almost absolute.

So in theory the President could override the Secret Service but in practice it never happens, or should I say hasn't happened in many decades.
    Last edited by Art; 06-03-2020 at 09:40.

Thanks, Art.

How about following Lyman's suggestion and file 13 this thread.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    lyman, you told this a$$ 2 times now. I know in the past, certain posters have been temporarely banned. Do so now with this person!