Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exel imported a better grade then Blue Sky. Those were some of the better imported carbines. Could you post some photos of the eagle in the sling well??

2. Default

It is very small and I have to look at it with an eye loop. I’ll give it another look and see if it would come out in a photo.

3. Default

Exel would be easy to read. The marks that take a loop typically are on bottom of the barrel. The INTRAC ones are right behind the rear sight on bottom. Not sure I've ever seen a tiny mark on the side of a barrel. There was one that starts with an O I think that wrapped around the barrel.

I have seen some of the Exel that only look like a scratch in the finish. Without magnification its all but impossible to read. One of the theories about the Blue Sky stampings was that ATF did not like the idea of the import markings being so small and light, that they required the size markings used by Blue Sky and that one could not change the barrel on an import. That went over well, so now the importers are supposed to add a new serial number to anything imported and no changing barrels.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    I have seen some of the Exel that only look like a scratch in the finish. Without magnification its all but impossible to read. One of the theories about the Blue Sky stampings was that ATF did not like the idea of the import markings being so small and light, that they required the size markings used by Blue Sky and that one could not change the barrel on an import. That went over well, so now the importers are supposed to add a new serial number to anything imported and no changing barrels.
    on Mosin Nagants, I have seen both, form the same time and importer

Foxtrot brought in several containers of 91/30's a few years ago,
    some have a new serial number on the receiver at the wood line, and the foxtrot info elsewhere, also in a very fine font,
    some did not have a new serial and were sold using the original serial on the barrel,

guess some could have slipped thru the system, but you would think it would have been caught as some point,

The biggest importer in the US is Century and all of their imports have the dot matrix new serial numbers on them. Must put big smiles on the faces of ATF.

Where I live (greater Houston) an Inland mixmaster "beater" carbine with a good barrel runs about $750.00 - $850.00. You can go from there.
    Last edited by Art; 06-11-2020 at 10:37.

I got one marked Exel Gardner MA. about 20 years ago.. I think they came frok Lorea.. excellent shape. excellent barrel, and excellent shooter. I wouldn't sell it for a grand.
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!