Default 1868 shoots to the right

I just got my 1868 back from Bobby Hoyt. The bore is a joy to behold.

I am shooting the Lee 450 grain copy of the government bullet over 60 grains of 60+ year old Dupont FFg and with the new bore I am getting 4" groups at 100 yards.

Problem is, the rifle is shooting about 12 inches right of center at 100 yards.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance for any relfections.

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

If you are just punching paper, do what the guys with an elevation issue do, stack targets after you determine the proper offset. But, I suspect you want to hunt with it, and that gets complicated, since having to hold off for windage and possibly elevation simultaneously is no good. Honestly, I'd ask Bobby (especially if it didn't have that issue before) since he's forgotten more about barrel dynamics than you or I together will ever know, and if bending the barrel turns out to be the answer, you want a pro to do it. There not much you can do to the sights except to buy a spare replica and file the notch off center - but that would only fix it for 100 yards - however 12" is a LOT and some correction is needed. I was SO tempted to try and attribute this to a slight leftward tilt as you squeeze off, but the geometry is backwards. Incidentally, your population just grew by five. Our grandson, who just graduated from med school as a doctor of anesthesiology, has just settled with his family in Camden - they may not stay there, but it will be in that general area. Camden is the site of Hosmer Pond. Go figure. Best of luck with your rifle.

Seriously? a grandson of uncle Dick is in Camden? That's my backyard. It is very, very beautiful, albeit a bit touristy. If you did not know, Peyton Place was filmed there.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a close friend who is an acomplished bender of barrels, we may be going the route. I do not want to file the front sight, not enough so's you notice.
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

The drill may have drilled a bit off center and the liner is not true to the old bore? I did see a 45-70 lined by a person in Michigan that shot far to the right as well. When asked about it the reply was " if you wanted it in straight it would have cost more". It was sent back and corrected in some way. Would not hurt to ask him about it as he is one of the best and may now knowing how it shoots be able to adjust it in some manner for you.

Tom, thanks, that sounds reasonable.

I talked to Bobby, he seemed to know where I needed to bend it, last 10 inches or so. He also let me know it was ok to go ahead and bend it and to go easy as it would only need a thousandth or 2 for the correction.

I put the barrel between the posts on my Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and pulled. No Joy, no change. Did it again and now the rifle is dead on at 70 yards with 60 grains of FFg and Lee's 500 grain 50-70 bullet. I'm pretty damned happy. What a rifle.

Mark, what is Bobby Hour's number and a good time to call him. I have tried calling in the past with no luck and now I can't find his number.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

That's Bobby Hoyt, dang auto spell!!

717-624-6696

I've been getting him after 4:30 and around 8 am

Thanks mark,
    I think 624 is incorrect, wrong number
    I found 717-642-6696 on line just now.

I swear, I must be the dyslexic surveyor.