Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SRS Request Please

This is a 1903 Springfield that my grandfather will to me when I was 12. I'm 50 now..He was in Iwo Jima and Korea. I don't think this was he riflem in combat. He a was a Major (mustang) and his men loved him. He was always for the enlisted man, and hundreds of people showed up at his funeral to pay. I've read through many of his letters, and I belive he worked directly with the Windtakers from the movie as he made mention several times about his secret Indians. He also has a field named after him at Camp Lejeune, Harris Field.

The serial number is 1481959.

Thanks for your time, Tom

Your number is not listed. It is in among A1NM and receivers. I think a lot of the receivers were built into rifles at the start of WW2. What is the barrel date stamped just behind the front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by 98src View Post
    Your number is not listed. It is in among A1NM and receivers. I think a lot of the receivers were built into rifles at the start of WW2. What is the barrel date stamped just behind the front sight?
    It's 4-33 behind the front sight. I believe it is an A1.

Pictures are needed. Does it have any National Match characteristics such as polished NS marked bolt, Star gauge mark on the muzzle, polished rails, pistol grip stock, etc.

The serial number on either side is listed as a DCM Sales receiver.

I can make a video and post it so you can see. It has all sorts of diffent markings. Any and all information about this rifle is greatly appreciated.

Good closeup still photos would be more helpful.

Here is a link to a bunch of images of the 1903.. Be sure to click the little More Images tab to reveal all of the pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/XBR5EIT

I believe the RA-P is a Raritan Arsenal rebuild stamp. Looks like you have a bolt body and bolt sleeve from a Remington M1903. The smoothness of the finger grooves on the stock tell us it has been sanded. I believe the handguard is a WWII replacement. Nothing special about the rifle, just a good 'ole WWII rebuild. Shoot it when you can, and never sell it.

Mike

10. Default

Not an A1 as A1 had pistol grip stock. As Mike D noted, either a rebuild or maybe rifle your grandfather put together.