Default SPL Stock Cartouche

Looking for info for a 1918 Springfield 1903 with a SPL cartouche on the left side of the stock. Do any of you possibly have any information on this cartouche?

Default SPL stamp

Contact Rick Borecky (he does stock repairs) as he sent me a photo of the SPL stamp
    that he found on a stock

here is his photodscn3228.jpg

3. Default

Can' t find this mark in either Brophy's or Campbell's lists of inspectors, but I suspect Mr. Beard can identify it. By the way, Brophy's dates for "DAL," a commonly encountered post-WWI mark, are seriously at variance with Campbell's!

The dies for making fake inspectors marks have been around for quite some time, but it would make no sense to fake the little known inspectors marks.

4. Default

I have SPL in my inspectors list listed as unknown inspector, but on M1903 rifles only from the 1917 to 1920 period.

Edit: maybe it was Stanley P. Gibbs (later "SA" over "SPG" stamp, especially found on NM rifles) prior to marriage ... .
    Last edited by Promo; 05-25-2020 at 01:39.

When I first posted the SPL stamp on this forum awhile ago, I received two replies concerning
    rifles that had this cartouche.

first was SA 1036724 barrel SA 11-18 Mark 1, stock was also Mark 1 with the SPL

second was SA in the 1.08 mil range with SPL cartouched stock

Thanks for the replies.