1. Default Dick, What do you think of this?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101365672

Remember, I previously asked you if you had one you could part with, but you never came up with anything, so I'm still looking. Joe Salter has had this one listed for 6 mo (about average for GI or GB!) with, obviously, no takers, so I asked if he'd reconsider his price; no response yet. Of course, the buyer will have to replace the rear sight, as there's little change of finding the missing part.

Looks like a pretty decent specimen and I don't think the price is totally out of line, though if you could get it for less it'd be a plus of course. AFAIK, Salter doesn't deal much and as a result his stuff hangs around. The duffle cut is a minus, but I'd think Grandpa's Gun Parts (the DeChristopher hoard) could sell you the slider for the sight. I only have one 92/96 (6692) and, at least for now, will be keeping it.

3. Default

After watching it sit there all these months, I finally asked him (in the politest terms!) if he'd consider a price adjustment. That was 2 days ago, & no response yet, but maybe he's out of town or the national panic has slowed him down, but I should think I'd at least be entitled to a response.

MY UNSOLICITED .02?

Upgraded 1892's are fairly common and for far less money. Like under a grand and without the duffle cut. The nice thing with this one is that the front site is ready for an 1896 rear sight, but if you replace the rear sight you will need to repalce the handguard as well and that can be crazy expensive.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Prices have come down - and likely won't recover - as the population of those who are interested in that era decreases. For some reason, '92/'96s were never common out here in the PRK. FWIW, I had a correct '92 way before I ever found a decent modified one.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    MY UNSOLICITED .02?

Upgraded 1892's are fairly common and for far less money. Like under a grand and without the duffle cut. The nice thing with this one is that the front site is ready for an 1896 rear sight, but if you replace the rear sight you will need to repalce the handguard as well and that can be crazy expensive.
    Appreciate your 2 cents. I have persisted with this particular gun not because it's a '92, but because it's an "antique" with the M1901 sight, which is the only Krag sight I can possibly shoot with, because it has the peep. (Of course, that sight is really the 1884 Buffington sight, under an alias.) The Krag I'd much prefer is a '98 with the '01 sight, but most of those are dated just beyond the "antique" classification, & because I'm in the Dictatorship of NY, & too old to get out, that's important. Now if Dick would liberate one of those out of his extensive hoard, my problem would be solved!