Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking For Stock Cartouches Information

I don't know much about 1903 rifles, but I do know more about 1903-A3s. I recently purchased a very nice looking Springfield 1903. I think it is mostly original. The serial number is 1218xxx (1921 manufactured) and the barrel appears to be original (dated 2 - 21). The rifle is in beautiful shape with what appears to be original parkerization. I am trying to find out what the original stock cartouches should be. I get confused in reading through the internet information. Some articles claim that it should be a blocked SA FAL. Some claim that all rebuilt rifles have a circled P proof mark. Some say that original 1903s do not have a proofed P. Some talk about an eagle head cartouche.

Can you guys help me out with my request for info. Thanks, Lee

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by leecork View Post
    [B][B] I get confused in reading through the internet information.
    You think???

If it's even a half-way nice '03, you paid enough for it to easily afford Campbell's (my choice) or Brophy's books. Yet you seek "free" on the web? That's cheapskate thinking. Mr. Beard may help you out, but I'm not sure you deserve it.

3. Default

Joe Spangler has a good website for sales and information. There is a new book out on US inspectors that is excellent. Brophy’s book is probably the better of the two mentioned, but the more books the better.

Blog Entries

besides searching here and gunboards,

Vishootershttp://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
    1903 https://m1903.com/

post pics and ask questions,

pictures help, gives a better reference to look over

Excuse the man for asking a question! Dang.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Brophy’s book is probably the better of the two mentioned, but the more books the better.
    In some ways, such as photos of accessories, it certainly is, but if you read my thread on the Lyman 48C sights, you'll see that his error caused me to fly off on quite an unnecessary wild goose chase.

Wouldn't a 1921 dated 03 have been blued not parkerized ?

That's nice. As clintonhater says, I am a cheapskate. I would rather target my monies towards acquiring really nice guns and shooting them. My guns are beautiful. Too bad that clintonhater owns just ugly guns.

Blog Entries

That's nice. As clintonhater says, I am a cheapskate. I would rather target my monies towards acquiring really nice guns and shooting them. My guns are beautiful. Too bad that clintonhater owns just ugly guns.
    a wise collector buys a book or 2 for each avenue of collecting,

as well as bookmarks stuff on the net,

yes, most if not all will have some errors, but over time they get pointed out and folks learn more from them,

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Wouldn't a 1921 dated 03 have been blued not parkerized ?
    No.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad that clintonhater owns just ugly guns.
    Yes, that's very sad, but there are compensations: he's not an ignoramus.