Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 17A XNB

Default Lyman 17A XNB

Can I use the Lyman 17A XNB Globe sight on the front of a 1903A3 with the stock rear peeps?

Lyman's customer service was helpful and dug up the part number and let me know it's been obsolete for a bit.

Now I'd just like to hear from someone who's tried it successfully before I try to hunt one down. Sounds like a great setup if the rear sight assembly remains unchanged.

Thanks,

Craig

It will work but, of course, you will have to remove the front sight assembly. I think it was really meant for use with a receiver sight.

3. Default

Not on an A3, but I've used the 17A on other Springfields with the standard front sight base. Mine is in the original box labeled "S" for Springfield, so I don't know what "XNB" means. I use only the aperture insert for round bulls, which is a higher aiming point than my normal 6 o'clock hold with a blade, so elevation of the rear sight must be increased slightly to compensate.

Craig . . . .

The Lyman “XNB” sight was developed especially for the A3 rifle . . . . .that’s why it is so high.

Thanks you for your responses!

I did some more googling the Lymans 17A XNB and was presented with two different types, both saying they're the 1903A3.

The first has a keyed mount, and the second is a one piece sight and sight mount, tall as JimF describes.

While googling images I found an old catalog page over at rimfirecentral.com which may clarify. Looks like the one piece globe sight and sight mount is the 17A XNB at the bottom. Kinda fuzzy.

Lymans old target sight.jpg

98src, true, when I was searching around for the 17A XNB it was often paired with the 48S-03A3 rear sight.

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Craig from kazoo; 05-17-2020 at 09:22.

7. Default

I have an unusual 17A I can't identify because the bottom of the dovetail has been filed removing the code, but it fits the '03 base & has the retaining screw hole drilled in the front of the dovetail. It isn't built for the standard 17A inserts, but has a Merit adjustable aperture in back & a special "tube" (don't know how to properly describe it) threaded into the front; the barrel is also slightly longer that a standard 17A. What is it?

This sight was wrongly placed in the box labeled "S" when I bought it, which I took to mean Springfield, but really means Standard, for 3/8" dovetails, according to the application list inside.

Clintonhater, I wonder if you have a 17A XNA? Check out the ebay link above from Johnny P.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Craig from kazoo View Post
    Clintonhater, I wonder if you have a 17A XNA? Check out the ebay link above from Johnny P.
    More I look at it, I think that rather it being a "special" 17A, the adjustable iris & the "tube" it connects to may be an accessory made by the Merit Co to fit any 17A, & this just happens to be one that fits the '03 sight base, with the retaining screw hole; that hole was my only clue that it was intended for a Springfield.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    More I look at it, I think that rather it being a "special" 17A, the adjustable iris & the "tube" it connects to may be an accessory made by the Merit Co to fit any 17A, & this just happens to be one that fits the '03 sight base, with the retaining screw hole; that hole was my only clue that it was intended for a Springfield.
    wondering if the tube is actually a sunshade,

I have a freeland front sight, and the international that are longer than normal, giving a good amount of shade, and a better sight picture, than a standard front sight ,

maybe yours was set up for a small bore guy? (using a 1922)