Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

Default Springfield M1922M1 Markings.

I have a M1922M1 Army training rifle (not the DCM / NRA sales type). It does NOT have the caution as to "long rifle cartridge only" use on the left side of the barrel. The barrel is dated "S.A. 1-25". As all of the .22 cal. M1922, M1922M1 and original M2 barrels are the same, why no caution. Was this added after production started? Are M1922s so marked ?.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom in N.J.; 05-16-2020 at 04:41.

2. Default

They did not see it to be a problem until the troops started to use .22 Shorts in the rifles. Remember this at a time of corrosive priming and the .22 Shorts were damaging the .22 Long Rifle chambers which would stick the spent .22 Long Rifle case in the chamber. Later barrels carried this warning.

fjruple..Thank you... Do you have any idea of about when the caution was added?

4. Default

I really do not know but i imagine some time during the production of the barrels as opposed to the guns them selves. I believe there maybe someone more knowledgeable on the time frame then I am regarding the Springfield M1922. I know that later .22LR training rifle manuals carried warnings about the use of .22 Shorts in .22LR chambers.

5. Default

Around 1927

Kragrifle.... thanks!! Tom

7. Default

Sir,
    As you have one of the M-22's could you give an estimate of value of one about 1000 older than yours in serial numbers and about 70% NRA condition? No magazine and stock has been modified into a montecarlo configuration. It IS the original stock, with M-22 marked on the but of pistol grip, and someone did a great job butchering the original into the new form.
    Please advise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Sir,
    As you have one of the M-22's could you give an estimate of value of one about 1000 older than yours in serial numbers and about 70% NRA condition? No magazine and stock has been modified into a montecarlo configuration. It IS the original stock, with M-22 marked on the but of pistol grip, and someone did a great job butchering the original into the new form.
    Please advise.

pics please,

for mag prices, surf completed auctions (sold only) on Ebay or gunbroker,
    they are a bit expensive,

figure about 1\2 what a rifle in original condition will go for w/ magazine. or less

9. Default

Please advise what that number would be. One half of original price. These being somewhat out of the ordinary, finding a value is difficult.

Blog Entries

Gunbroker, completed auctions, and look at those only with bids,

mags, one sold recently for $246

there are many listings for 1922's and the prices are all over the place (based on condition etc)