Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winchester M1 Garand sighting issue.

Recently received from CMP (end of Feb.) a special rack grade winchester Garand. I am having an issue sighting this rifle in. No matter where I place the front sight, (centered or far left) I will still need to crank in 6 to 8 clicks of right windage on the rear sight to get POI in center of target at 100 yards. Have used LC69, as well as 2 different receipes for home loads. Ammo does not make any real difference. What am I missing or not doing here?

I think the first thing I would do would be to check barrel indexing and move on from that point.

Checking barrel index has been checked and found to be slightly off. It was corrected and did improve, but did not cure the issue. Possibly more correction is needed? I do not have the means to check this before or after.

I would suggest moving the front sight opposite the direction if the correction. Note: eight thousandths movement of front sight=1 MOA.
    George in NH

When I was training with the M14, we sighted the rifles to hit high about 2-3 inches on a 25 yard target. From there to hit 100, 200 and 300 yard targets we used good 'ol kentucky windage. We did not adjust sights for various yardages.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    . . . . .From there to hit 100, 200 and 300 yard targets we used good 'ol kentucky windage. We did not adjust sights for various yardages.
    I’m thinking you meant to say “Tennessee elevation”, as windage doesn’t help in the yardage dept.

back in the 60s', it was called 'kentucky windage'.

Gents, After having a local gunsmith "index" the barrel, POA was the center bullseye of an nra 100 yard target. POI was a solid 8" to the left with the front sight centered. Moving the front sight to the far left edge still had the POI about 3 to 4" left of bullseye. Cranking in 4 clicks of right windage finally got the POI in the center. Elevation was never an issue. During this time the CMP was closed. When they did re-open, I contacted them and explained the situation. They sent me a FEDEX shipping label and I have shipped it back to the CMP. They have had it for 1 week now and I have had no communication from them. I will update again when I have more info.

9. Default

Two things to consider. First, have you dry fired rifle while looking thru sights? I have found that even on a big heavy rifle you can pull shots. Check sight alignment and pull trigger, sight pic should remain same, if not, adjust finger on trigger til it does. Second, my barrel index experience has shown me that if using the gas cylinder platform as a surface for barrel index, you could be off as I've found them to seldom be correctly horizontal to center lines.

The 3 of us (me, myself and I) decided if we had a contankerous rifle like that, it would have been traded off!