Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nice M1884 on GI

Should anyone here be looking for a great deal on a Trapdoor? Found these on GI.
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101435362
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101435256

Blog Entries

that is a very clean example,

Nice ones. Once again the theory that MANY minty 1884s will be found in the upper-middle 4xxxxx range and cartouched 1889, is borne out. They MUST have lain back in the arsenal while the rod-bayonets went out to the field - there seems to be no other rational explanation.

There is one on Gunbroker right now. Seller wants just shy of $4000.

Now that's a trifle steep! Seriously. Paid $300 for mine in the early '70s - people said I was crazy. I think the current true value of a minty 1884 is probably somewhere around $2500. Would be nice to think that prices were coming back up, though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Nice ones. Once again the theory that MANY minty 1884s will be found in the upper-middle 4xxxxx range and cartouched 1889, is borne out. They MUST have lain back in the arsenal while the rod-bayonets went out to the field - there seems to be no other rational explanation.
    Mr. Hosmer,

is there any info out there on the quantity (and serial number) of Trapdoors or any other firearm in Armory's ?

as in property books for the Armory in XYZ county, NY etc

The honest answer is that I do not know that they were ever kept that way - we DO know that about 95% of the records have been destroyed - many long ago, leaving a real hodgepodge of info, with no rhyme or reason as to what was kept, or why. There is NO centralized/comprehensive source - wish it was that easy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    The honest answer is that I do not know that they were ever kept that way - we DO know that about 95% of the records have been destroyed - many long ago, leaving a real hodgepodge of info, with no rhyme or reason as to what was kept, or why. There is NO centralized/comprehensive source - wish it was that easy!
    I seem to recall a thread long ago, mentioning such a thing,

May have been something 5Mad was mentioning in the records searches he used to post about,

I do know that as late as the mid 70's, some military schools ledgers were in a notebook, in pencil,

heard that from some folks that worked, and maintained the firearms for the schools,

a few years ago I bought a Sharps from a guy,
    the story (never by the story) was that this guy's grandfather worked in the town that the Armory was in, and they (the Armory) decided to sell of the Sharps they had in inventory when the new, to them , firearms arrived,
    his Granfather bought one and parked it in a closet,

no idea if that was true or not, but not totally unbelievable,
    and the Sharps did look like it was in a closet for a good long while, (dusty, and in great shape)

Dick, I have been collecting trapdoors for only around 10 years now. I do have a minty 1889 manufactured TD that I stumbled on at a local shop about a year ago and promptly purchased it. I do have to say that in my 10 years of collecting I have not seen any minty TD's until recently. Any idea as to were and why these rifles are showing up now? Just curios. I have taken some of my rifles to be appraised by an antique arms dealer "Richard J. Ruggerio" from Delaware. He told me some stories from his youth when just beginning his carer about him and a fellow collector buying unopened crates of TD's at auctions and then latter selling them. I believe it was back in the late 60's or early 70's. How I would have loved to have been there but I was only 10 LOL!!!

Carl, I'd guess that the reason that nice TDs are now showing up on the market with some regularity is that the generation that collected them is dying off. That would include me. People tend to collect what they know, or were used to, or served with, etc. For the current bunch that means - for better or for worse - black plastic "assault rifles". Sad, but that's life. The value peak for guns of the TD period has come and gone. I was acquainted with the late Bob Hill (Al Frasca's co-author) for many years, and can confirm the stories about crates being opened at least as late as the '50s. I began serious collecting in February 1970, when I was 33.