Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting old Western Ammo Box

Back when corrosive primers were a selling point. Be fun to shoot a box or two!

2. Default

WCC, and then it became WW as in Winchester Western. Winchester fell on hard times in 1929.

And for match accuracy they used mercuric/corrosive primers.

F. Guffey

That may have been overrun from Western military contract match ammo (white box) which used mercuric priming.

Here's the published story -

Western8_5g.jpg
    Last edited by Parashooter; 04-30-2020 at 10:46.

Here are the contents of the box. Reloaded who knows how long ago and some are color coded.

6. Default

And for match accuracy they used mercuric/corrosive primers.
    The head stamps indicate the box contains Winchester/Western, Saint Louis, Remington etc. cases. The primers indicate all cases have been fired because the primers have been replaced. And then there is the infinity mercury has for brass. In the old days it was believed the case became brittle because of the mercury when fired. That was before the Internet; now? I am sure some reloader can tell a convincing story about how wrong the old folks were.

I have nothing to gain by firing brass that is suspect and then I find nothing entertaining about firing a case could be brittle. I did set up a test for checking cases that could benefit from being annealed; that was before ever reloader became an expert.

F. Guffey

Friend's father passed and he offered a coffee can of assorted ammunition.

I accepted this and a box of modern .30 carbine, turned down the rest as I've spent my time decommissioning others ammo in the past.

One day this will be broken down, WD40'ied and into the garbage as I've got more brass than I'll ever wear out.

Thanks for your replies,

Craig
    Last edited by Craig from kazoo; 05-03-2020 at 11:27.

8. Default

Craig, I sometimes wonder why some members do not wonder, I did; I wondered if mercury turns brass brittle when fired how did they reload in the 'good old days'?

It is as though we are the only ones that know anything, but be don't.

F. Giffey

Fred, looks like you are slipping a little, In your above post you can’t spell your last name...

John in sc
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Fred, looks like you are slipping a little, In your above post you can’t spell your last name...

John in sc
    John, and I wandered; if I slipped, by how far?. And then I checked the keyboard. The u key comes before the I key.

F. Guffey

And if I ever find out who Fred is I will tell him he is doing a good job' especially if his fingers are as old as my fingers.