Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ammo for M1916 Spanish Mauser

I’m looking for the correct ammunition for my M1916 Spanish Mauser. The box of Remington 175 gr round nose 7 mm Mauser soft point cartridges in the photo came with the rifle. Only 3 un-fired cartridges were left in the box.

5BB23716-816D-4FA5-87D9-BA46C5AF90FC.jpg

Does anyone know where I can buy 175 gr round nose 7 mm Mauser loaded cartridges or bullets for reloading?

I'm sure there are variations out there to prove me wrong but your Mauser is probably referred to as a 1893 Mauser since it is chambered for the 7mm round.

The 1916 Mausers were chambered for the 308 or 7.62 NATO round otherwise essentially the same rifle and some may have been converted from '93's.

I have one of each. The '93 I have shot using old foreign berdain ammo.

The 1916 I bought because of the grain of the wood and that I could shoot 308 in it. I later discovered that due to the bolt having a single locking lug it couldn't handle a straight diet of modern 308 ammo so I have never shot it.

I'm pretty sure the .308 or 7.62x51 (reloader will argue they are not the same) came about in early 1950's. If you, indeed, have an original 1916 Spanish Mauser it should be chambered in 7x57mm (or "7mm Mauser"). Some were subsequently rechambered to 7.92x57 (or "8mm Mauser"). This should be denoted on the rifle somewhere, like the receiver. My source of info. is Ball's "Military Mausers of the World."
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I'm pretty sure the .308 or 7.62x51 (reloader will argue they are not the same) came about in early 1950's. If you, indeed, have an original 1916 Spanish Mauser it should be chambered in 7x57mm (or "7mm Mauser"). Some were subsequently rechambered to 7.92x57 (or "8mm Mauser"). This should be denoted on the rifle somewhere, like the receiver. My source of info. is Ball's "Military Mausers of the World."
    I know the Israelis rebarreled some K98 mausers to 308 (7.62x51) but if the 1916 bolt can't hold up to this round I wouldn't want to shoot one chambered for 7.92x57. Those things kick like a mule. The K98 has an extra locking lug on the bolt to accommodate such.

I've read where the 1916's made after 1950 had better hardened bolts and thus not so much of an issue.

I believe this article clears things up a little and you are correct that the first 1916's were 7mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_Model_1893

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
    . . . . . . .The K98 has an extra locking lug on the bolt to accommodate such.
    . . . . . .]
    This is an off-told myth! . . . .

That “extra locking lug” does NOT engage the receiver . . . it is a SAFETY lug that will hold the bolt forward in case the forward locking lugs fail.

As a design feature, it is more appealing than the safety lug of an American Springfield M1903, in that the bridge of the Mauser is much lower than the bridge of the Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    This is an off-told myth! . . . .

That “extra locking lug” does NOT engage the receiver . . . it is a SAFETY lug that will hold the bolt forward in case the forward locking lugs fail.

As a design feature, it is more appealing than the safety lug of an American Springfield M1903, in that the bridge of the Mauser is much lower than the bridge of the Springfield.
    Thanks. Even the article I listed speaks of the 3rd rear locking lug.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy 175 gr round nose 7 mm Mauser loaded cartridges or bullets for reloading?
    According to this it looks like Hornady makes them. A local shop may be able to order them for you if you don't want to buy these.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866970125

I’m sure this is a M1916 7mm Spanish Mauser rifle. A .308 bullet does not begin to enter the muzzle but the 7 mm round nose goes about 3/4 of the way in. Is the long round nose 7 mm Mauser Remington bullet the correct ammo for this rifle?