Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea salt!

Default Sea salt!

I'm looking at the jar of peanuts on my desk. I love peanuts. I get the house brand. They are 'lightly salted'. Love em. Now I see the label mentions Sea Salt. Now my ears get a little red. Sea Salt. I see this everywhere like it's some kind of magic ingredient. Well, there's about 155 million,zillion, gazillion tons of salt in the sea. Not to mention the earlier referred to figue entrapped all over the earth from previous seas. It's not Martian or Lunar salt, I don't care if it came from the Dead Sea or the Baltic salt it's just plain old salt. Right? If I'm wrong someone explain it to me. It doesn't prevent sickness from C-19. Salt is important though. Iodized salt also does something important, not sure what. If you add some garlic it keeps away vampires. Do we worry about vampires these days?
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

If I remember right, sea salt contains minute trace minerals. Besides it looks "environmental" on the label to get the tree huggers go buy it.
    Sam

3. Default

Since the glaciers are melting from "global warming" or whatever they call it now, the sea levels are rising. So to counter that, they are taking salt from the sea to make more room for the water. I should be a politician!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Salt is important though. Iodized salt also does something important, not sure what.
    Iodized salt contains Iodine, a necessary part of your diet. There are not many foods that will supply iodine. Shrimp is one (yummy!). Table salt is chemically produced and they add the iodine. Sea salt is just that and has no added stuff. You can actually taste the difference between the two types.

FWIW

Emri

The thyroid gland really likes iodine. People without it can get goiters. Radioactive iodine is a component of nuclear fallout hence the idea of iodine tablets to protect the thyroid (by giving it its fill of the non-radioactive type). In people with Graves Disease on the other hand sometimes they have to nuke the thyroid (literally) and radioactive iodine is what they use.

A Slovenian friend brings me some local sea salt when he comes to visit, from their little bit of Adriatic coastline. Works great on good meat, fish, etc. Has a little bit of a tang to it. Salt beds as I understand it are derived from natural tidal basins. It turns out some bacteria thrive in high saline environments, and humans can cultivate those environments and harvest the salt from them. The bacteria kind of cover up the muck so harvesting takes some skill.

Everything you ever wanted to know.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326519

Hey Sam, don’t they still mine salt from under Lake Erie near Cleveland? Used to be Morton but last I heard, it’s now Cargill.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Hey Sam, don’t they still mine salt from under Lake Erie near Cleveland? Used to be Morton but last I heard, it’s now Cargill.
    Not sure, John in Ohio lives in that AO and he would know. There is a former salt lick close to me that the Step parents of Sherman use to mine.
    Sam

There's a great big salt mine under Lake Huron on the Canadian side by Goderich. The stuff tastes like salt.

I modified a boiler in a Morton Salt plant on the east shore of Lake Michigan a few years before I retired. They pumped salt brine out of the ground and boiled off the water then packaged the salt.