Default A historic photo... perhaps

Way off subject...

Dated September 1969...

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0OtI...OkCvFJUpK2vUmw

Can anybody identify the "computer," or any of the people in the picture... The airport is/was near Cape Canaveral.
    Last edited by RED; 04-22-2020 at 07:51.

Interesting photo... I'm beguiled. Looks a bit like a Raytheon screen I once saw in the KC regional ATC center. This was way before 9/11 of course.

I can recognize the civilian C47 and that is it.
    Sam

DC3/C47; Embry Riddle flying school, Daytona Beach, Fla. Daytona Beach air port.
    M1a1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!

Hard to tell about the computer. IBM 360? For sure it ran off of punch cards.

jn

I worked with mainframe computers in the late 60s, and it does not look like an IBM 1401 or 360, but if the men in the picture had dark suits, white shirts, and skinny black ties, that was IBMs standard uniform. It could be from one of the numerous smaller computer manufactures of that era.

While IBM was always Snow White, the Seven Dwarfs had a
    varying membership. Oldfield names GE, RCA, UNIVAC, Honeywell, Burroughs, Scientific Data Systems, and Control Data
    Corporation, which is probably an appropriate list of dwarfs for
    the latter part of this period. GE was “King” only by virtue of size
    and not in terms of power or leadership.

Thanks GWP. The 360 was a shot in the dark for me. I used one for a while, but all I r3eally saw was the terminal and the slot where you feed the cards. All I knew for sure was it was the dominant machine at that time. There was IBM and there was everyone else.

Thanks guys. The owner of the pic thought that since it was in Florida that it was possibly part of NASA. When we removed from the frame the hand written note on the reverse read "Ti-Co Airport," which happens to be in Daytona Beach. The Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is in Daytona Beach and is a accredited university specializing in aviation and aerospace studies.

The "computer," could have been a important part of a flight simulator or who knows what. But 50+ years ago somebody thought the pic was important enough to have it preserved and framed.
    Last edited by RED; 04-25-2020 at 09:40.