Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was just asking C5M1 to please post the photos. Your right about some of the early commercial carbines...ah...not being up to spec for sure. Hey they are worth the value of their USGI parts now and that will most likely exceed by far their original price when new.

20200425_090931.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the huge pics. This is an IBM RECIEVER

20200425_090410.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20200425_084305.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20200425_090516.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20200425_084305.jpg

See if you can find a good gunsmith in your area. The cracks can be fixed. Just may not look all that great but a small bit of welding can fix them. But it looks to me like someone tried or did change the barrel with improper tools.

5. Default

Colin Williams over on the CMP Forums has been selling a number of carbine receivers, from high to low condition, with very reasonable prices to match. Essentially all makers. Here is an example - this is his Saginaw thread. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=261529

He is an exceptional seller - I haven't seen anyone, including myself, unhappy with his receivers.

Good luck!

6. Default

Alpine made a good receiver. The Alpine receiver you looked at wasn't defective, it was a design aspect. The holes in the long spring hole are intentional to avoid the problem with drilling the deep hole. You'll see GI rec's where the drill breaks through and you can see the spring. Alpine addressed it in a particularly effective manner as shown in the link below which has a pic of the bottom of the receiver. It has plenty of material to keep the spring captive and still perform properly. I own a USGI receiver that was torched only enough at the spring tube that when the action is out of the stock the spring will actually bend at the middle and spring out through the hole. When it's in the stock it won't, because the stock holds it in place enough to function.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_alpine.html

ERMA in .30 call is the one you never want to buy. They're soft, mushy turds. The .22 version doesn't see the loads and is ok.

Here's another maker who used the same holes in the spring tube, because they were related companies. If I don't own Alpine or National Ordnance now I wouldn't hesitate to own them at an affordable opportunity at any time.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html
    Last edited by M1C; 05-14-2020 at 07:34.

Well not all National Ordnance receivers were good and there were some bad Alpines too. Some Alpines were made overseas and are considered to be soft. National Ordnance also used cut up USGI receivers and then weld then. So what version of the Erma carbines are you say are soft? There were two companies who made them.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Well not all National Ordnance receivers were good and there were some bad Alpines too. Some Alpines were made overseas and are considered to be soft. National Ordnance also used cut up USGI receivers and then weld then. So what version of the Erma carbines are you say are soft? There were two companies who made them.
    It's been a long time since I've read those links I provided but wasn't it Federal Ordnance that welded some GI receivers? And I do sorta now recall something about a soft receiver from one of those makers now that you mention it. I've owned at least 3 of each, but only one ERMA. ERMA was horrible. The others I owned weren't a problem.

But the spring tube holes were done on purpose.