Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gun show carbine

I purchased an M 1 carbine several years ago at a gun show and didn't notice the cracked reciever until disassembly. Barrel and other parts seem to be in excellent condition. I can't seem to find a replacement reciever for it. Any suggestions where to acquire one? Or should I just sell the parts and chalk it up.

If you want to keep a Carbine you would be better off to find another one, and sell the other one for parts. It's something like having a slide for a GI .45 and looking for a receiver. There were far more slides than receivers.

IF you could even find a suitable receiver it would probably cost as much as you spent on the carbine plus you would have to pay a gunsmith to swap the barrel and check for headspace.

Personally I would keep the defective carbine till I bought another one. You may prefer some of the parts from the first gun. Then sell the parts you don't need or want.

Disappointing news but thank you for your replies. Think I'll go a ahead and keep it with the Hope's of stumbling on another at some point, maybe use it for a trade. Carbine and a 455 Webley were always on my want list along with a few others. Tough to buy new toys on a fixed income.

Best regards, dennis

Blog Entries

what do you currently have that is cracked??

try riverbank

http://www.riverbankarmory.com/parts1.html

or try Gunbroker,

Post some photos of the cracked receiver if you can please. It might be able to be saved.

Try to get a pic or two up tomorrow.
    The recoil spring housing is worn through also.

Quote Originally Posted by C5M1 View Post
    Try to get a pic or two up tomorrow.
    The recoil spring housing is worn through also.
    Woah, there . . . . .

The only receiver I’ve ever seen with a worn thru spring housing, was on a commercial carbine.

It was a CHEAP sand casting (Alpine, I think) receiver, with all parts GI.

The spring, being very hard, had worn thru the deep hole of the receiver, and was visible in several places!

Bottom line? . . . .JUNK!!

Sorry Jim but USGI M1 carbines were made and accepted with recoil spring deep drilled holes having run out spots on them. Please post photos including the spring holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Sorry Jim but USGI M1 carbines were made and accepted with recoil spring deep drilled holes having run out spots on them. Please post photos including the spring holes.
    I can’t post any pics ‘cause the Alpine I saw belonged to a fellow worker . . . .MANY YEARS AGO. (About 1965-66, I think!)

I was looking for a M1 RIFLE at the time, and he told me he had one he would sell me.

After work, I went to his house and he shows me this POS M1 CARBINE! (It was then I realized he did not know the difference!)

Not wanting to embarrass him, I asked to field strip it . . . .then spotted the area where the spring had worn thru the cast receiver in two or three spots.

I thanked him for showing it to me, returned it, and went home disappointed.

Never saw such a disaster as that SAND CASTING again!