Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NM M1 Garand

1. Default

The NM shown is pantagraphed. It was something like a dentist drill on a pantagraph machine that followed a pattern and cut the same pattern on the piece to be marked.

Not sure what the star was for. By the time the NM M1 rifles were made the barrel was air gauged. The old star gage relied on the person doing the gauging feeling the difference in the barrel, where the air gauge has a metered amount of air pressure applied to a plug that fits the barrel. Any increase or decrease in air pressure as the plug passes through the bore indicates tight or loose places in the bore.

Pantagraph more common than hand stamping?

3. Default

The Director of Civilian Marksman ship (DCM) was established by the War Department Appropriation Act of 1903 in conjunction with the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice (NBPRP). The DCM was put under control of the US Army in 1916 and the Director was a US Army officer. The DCM worked closely with the Army to promote the sale of arms and accessories and support the requirement of the National Matches. There was a close tie between the DCM and the NRA. Until about 1933 0r 1934, the DCM published information about arms and the Matches in a separated page of the American Rifleman. From then on, announcement wee still published in the AR but the DCM did not maintain a page in the AR. In 1996 the Defense Appropriation Ace of 1996 abolished the DCM and the NBPR and established the CMP, a non government corporation.

When I bought my NM M1 in 1962, I dealt directly with the Major Item Supply Management Agency. When I bought my Service Grade M1 in 1973, I dealt with the DCM for approval. When it came time to pay, I dealt with the DOA HQ and installation support Activity. When I bought my M! Carbine in 1963 I dealt with the Government Equipment section of the NRA. At different times the procedure was different. In every case I was required to submit my NRA membership card. In the case of service grade M! , I was required to submit evidence that I was a competitor in High Power Rifle shooting-no problem because I was rated as a Lifetime Master with the High Power Competition.
    FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 04-21-2020 at 10:09.

Gentlemen:

I don't see any difference in value between a genuine M1 NM rifle sold by the DCM and a genuine NM rifle later sold by the CMP. There might be a small nostalgia factor for a NM rifle sold by the DCM at Camp Perry, but otherwise I see no difference in value that is dependent upon which organization sold it.

As far as I know, the CMP has never been in the business of creating "new" National Match M1 rifles.

Regards,
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by John Mello View Post
    Does the star on the NM barrel indicate it was star gaged ?

jm
    No.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.