Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NM M1 Garand

Default NM M1 Garand

I've read on a couple of occasions where NM rifles sold by the DCM are "the real deal" compared to modern day CMP sales. Would someone explain what that means, and does it affect value?
    I've had mine for twenty years, the letter I requested (dated 2003) indicates shipment in 1969. Is mine a CMP or DCM rifle?
    Thanks!20200320_083020.jpg
    Last edited by Pentolite; 04-21-2020 at 05:23.

Blog Entries

CMP is what the DCM was
    I don't recall the change over date, sometime in the mid 90's I think,

the rifles sold thru the DCM would be 'the real deal' as in made to shoot the Nationals and kept in storage (also used in other matches throughout the year)

some were sold to civilians over the years,

I am not sure if CMP made up any NM rifles, but imagine they still get some trickling in from the sources in the Services,

I do know the CMP built up some M1D's,
    was told this by Mike at the South Store during a visit in Feb 2016,

they did not hid this fact, they were listed as Specials,

I was told they found a pallet of D barrels in one of the storage areas, and decided to build the guns up vs selling the barrels
    Last edited by lyman; 04-21-2020 at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    CMP is what the DCM became, . . . .
    Me-thinks you got that “versa-vicer”, Lyman

Thank you for the replies. Having been sold in 1969, safe to say it's a DCM rifle, hence more desirable? It's in really great shape, TE= 2.25, MW=1.25. I understand if it's in poor taste to ask a ballpark value, I'm just curious, not interested in selling it. If I'm out of order, tell me and I'll delete the question. Once again, thanks!20200302_190251.jpg

My “ballpark” values are:
    If a legitimate Type One . . .WITHOUT any Type Two upgrades, 5k.
    If a legitimate Type Two. 3.5k.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Me-thinks you got that “versa-vicer”, Lyman
    correct Jim, and corrected my boo boo

All correct type two (1962). Then newer CMP releases bring less?

How was the NM marking applied to the left side of the barrel between the gas cylinder rings? The early barrels were hand stamped, but later in production the NM was pantagraphed on the barrel. It was thought that stamping the NM by hand set up stresses in the barrel. I sold an early barrel with the hand stamped NM and a star in this location.

My Type II NM with RIA sales documentation has the pantagraphed marking, but no NM marking on the right side of chamber area.

9. Default

Does the star on the NM barrel indicate it was star gaged ?

jm
    Last edited by John Mello; 04-21-2020 at 01:50.

Here's how the "NM" looks on the barrel. I guess it's stamped but actually appears to be cut. I'm interested to hear you take on it 20200302_185906.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My understanding is that the star represents 1962 production. A heart was used in '63, and a cross was used in'60, I believe.
    Last edited by Pentolite; 04-21-2020 at 01:09.