Thread: Inland 1479XX

Default Inland 1479XX

Hello all, The Inland in question appears completely original and unmolested in every aspect. There are none of the tell-tale signs usually associated with "monkeying around". 12-42 barrel date, checkered safety, long face mag release, I cut high wood, type one barrel band with no print in the wood from a type two, everything is perfect, except... it has an RN marked flip sight. Zero indication of being changed, no punches or stake marks. I know Inland received sights from other contractors, but I can't find any record from this serial number range. Has anyone else got a NPM sight on this range Inland? Thanks for your opinions and help!

The NPM rear sight was used by them till May 1943. Your serial number dates to about January 1943. But there is no record of any rear sights going to Inland from NPM that I can find but doesn't mean it didn't happen. Looking at it, the sight may have been one of the spares issued with carbines by the manufactures as replacements. It could have come from supply this way and was used to replace a broken sight on the Inland early on. Company armor could have grabbed one and installed it. There was no need to keep it all Inland parts if a NPM sight worked just as well. Just used what was at hand.

Thanks for the reply. Best to leave it as is? Since everything else is right as rain I don't really want to monkey with it.

Another reason I believed the Carbine to be unmolested was this sling and oiler that looked to have been with it forever.20200421_165217.jpg

Yes your poor sling has seen better days. Best to treat it gently and put it and the oiler someplace safe. You can always find a new sling to use if you really need a sling.