Hunkering down, staying home, looking for something to do. So here are a few semi-interesting photos of my Greek returned 03. Come on guys, work with me.

Notice the 03A3 FJA faintly stamped stock, 2 sets of serial numbers (last 4 digits) stamped on the stock and two sets of gas escape holes. Also notice the patch in the stock near the receiver. I didn’t know what caused the damage until I saw a Remington 03A3 with a blown receiver possibly damaged from firing into an obstructed barrel. The wood was blown away in the same spot. The rifle was for sale “as is” in a Gettysburg antique shop with a ruptured receiver, a destroyed barrel and bolt and a damaged stock. However, the butt plate, barrel bands and sling swivels were in excellent condition. They only wanted $450 for the nearly destroyed 03A3.

The wood patch was installed on the 03 by the Greeks and the stock was recycled to a different rifle, hence the 2nd serial number stamped on the stock. Skilled craftsman did a skillful repair on what could have been a badly needed rifle. A US Arsenal probably would have scrapped the stock. Notice how the sides of the patch were cut at an angle to strengthen the repair. The patch was also strengthened with dowel pins and was made with a hardwood, possibly maple. Also notice the reinforcement wedge that’s installed on the patch in alignment with the recoil bolt. Whoever did the work must have had lots of experience repairing broken stocks.

After discussing the punch mark under the bolt handle on a different thread, I noticed that the bolt on my Greek 03 also has a punch mark above the R that i didn’t notice before.

5E5D4D57-BCA9-41DC-9557-59472001F39C.jpg
    Last edited by Merc; 04-19-2020 at 04:16.

Most of the Greek returns I saw, including the one I picked up, were thickly coated with what looked like wheel bearing grease. In hot weather, mine still sweats it. Yours is a nice looking rifle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    Most of the Greek returns I saw, including the one I picked up, were thickly coated with what looked like wheel bearing grease. In hot weather, mine still sweats it. Yours is a nice looking rifle.
    I bought a few, some were coated, heavily, and soaked in the wood,

and others were not,

The heavy grease they used as a preservative really did a great job. No rot, rust or corrosion anywhere after more that 50 years in storage. The only thing I found that would cut the oil that soaks into the wood and sweats out is acetone.

Here are some pics of the rifle. In addition to the 03A3 stock, it also has an 03A3 bolt and a 9/44 High Standard replacement barrel.

E2ECF5E7-3068-4E68-96EE-0FCD6F84F0EA.jpgD10B8CEA-A839-4722-A6EB-EAA9386E6DDF.jpg

6. Default

I will play! New to me Greek return found on Gunbroker last month. If anyone knows the meaning of the "N" stamped next to the square P proof mark, I'd be much obliged. I haven't been able to figure that one out.

Last edited by Lead Snowstorm; 04-29-2020 at 08:57.

Thanks for the photos. It has all the characteristics of a Greek rifle. Like mine, various rebuilds have resulted in mixed parts which was typical. Matching a 1921 SA receiver with a 1942 SA barrel and a 1940s 03A3 bolt was a standard US rebuild. Look under the bolt handle for Remington’s “R.” It looks like the Greeks also did some parts swapping that may have been required to keep your rifle fit for service which likely means it saw action. The N stamped on the C stock pistol grip heel is probably an inspector’s mark.

8. Default

Indeed, the underside of the bolt handle shows an “R” and a punch mark.

Hardness testing might explain the punch mark.