Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Just acquired my first '03 Springfield.

I just bought this old gun from a seller who said that they acquired it from CMP some years back and have never shot it. The barrel looks possibly original to the receiver and I was just wondering if I could get some thought and comments from some here who have way more experience and insight than I do.

Some questions:
    1. If the rifle was manufactured in Feb 1918, is it possible that it would have seen combat before war's end in November?
    2. The inspection stamps on the furniture are really faint (except for the deep Greek serial ID stamp). On the left side, just rear of the grip it looks faintly like "CJB". Can someone confirm or tell me what this is? Anything else that might indicate it saw any action in WWII?
    3. Were barrels ever not replaced if the rifles were used in conflicts post-WWI?
    4. Besides the stacking swivel, is there any other obvious parts that don't belong to this rifle?

Thanks so much in advance. As soon as this current virus thing settles down, I want to take this rifle out to the range.

1Rifle.jpg2Receiver Serial Number.JPG3Barrel Date.JPG5Barrel Underside 1.jpg8Left Stock.jpg
    Last edited by AustinWiseguy; 04-13-2020 at 03:50.

I think you have a “Greek returned” rifle with a pinned floorplate. (The “B” stamped on the floorplate is the tell-tale.)

Browse around www.m1903.com to learn more about your rifle.

SRS records can sometimes indicate the history of a rifle’s service. Post a separate message on this site requesting a SRS check and you will be contacted. In the absence of any such records, most milsurp gun owners can tell a war-worn rifle by looking at its condition.

According to www.m1903.com, CJB is an unidentified Springfield inspector.

The rebuilders often used 03A3 bolts in place of the old Springfield bolts for safety reasons. The swept back angle of the handle on your bolt is a characteristic of the 03A3 bolt. Look under the handle for a small R stamped in the bolt body indicating it was made by Remington. Rebuilders often used other 03A3 parts (butt plates, barrel bands, swivels, etc.) simply because they were available and they worked.

The 03s that were sent to Greece were put through a rebuilding process and any worn or unsafe part would have been replaced. Obviously, the original stock and barrel on your rifle survived. Some rifle’s were assigned to Navy ships and rarely used compared to those used by the grunts and might be the reason for your rifle’s condition. I have a 1943 Remington 03A3 in similar condition. It’s serial number is close to some that served aboard the USS Reno.

Good shooting. Let us know how she does.

JimF: indeed it appears its seen time in Greece. The "B" is present on the floor plate along with the last 4 digits of the serial on the stock and bolt. Thank you for your response!

Merc: Appreciate the advice. I will get that request for an SRS check as you directed. I'll definitely post a range report when this virus-thing allows.

Merc: SRS check turned up empty.. but I hear that's fairly common.

JimF: I checked under the bolt and there indeed is a Remington "R" stamped. Additionally, and it may not be any kind of artifact, but there's a dimple stamped just above the "R".

20200414_115455.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWiseguy View Post

I checked under the bolt and there indeed is a Remington "R" stamped. Additionally, and it may not be any kind of artifact, but there's a dimple stamped just above the "R".

20200414_115455.jpg
    The rebuilders often used various ways to indicate that an item had been tested or inspected. They usually used an initials stamp but something as simple as a punch mark would serve a purpose. Don’t forget, your rifle was given to the Greeks who had their own ideas on marking them, so anything’s possible.

Merc, can you envision a scenario where a rifle like this one was built in early 1918 and went through both world wars and the Greek civil war and the barrel not being replaced? I'm thinking this gun maybe spent a whole lot of time on guard duty and not much else. The previous owner indicated it's still in the same condition as he bought it from CMP. Thoughts?
    Last edited by AustinWiseguy; 04-14-2020 at 02:23.

The SRS report might hold some interesting possibilities. The rifles Johnny mentioned in his report with close serial numbers were assigned to an US Army Training Center (USATC) and USN IND which is probably the WW2 aircraft carrier USS Independence. IMHO, a rifle that’s rarely fired and minimally handled would more likely have been part of a ships’ arsenal.