Thread: Amish At Work

Default Amish At Work

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/u...irus-ohio.html

NY Times article about Ohio Amish making personal protective gear, sewing masks, making face shields, for Covid-19. An impressive amount of work, providing the necessary raw materials keep coming.

Blog Entries

They'll have the carpenters when they will need them too.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

They would be Menonites, not Amish. (NYT strikes again) Amish do not allow themselves to be photographed. Graven images.
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

pafrank, did you read the article, or even look at the picture....

Those are not Amish you can see by the Dress code.Amish do not allow pictures .Could be Mennonites or Apostolic.Living in a Amish area they might be the owner of the company and employ non Amish .

Ask Boggs. He has friends in the community. Amish chicks or Mennonite chicks. I've seen the Mennonite girls. Little dutch bonnets. pale blue dresses. Faces of angels. The Mormons, not so much. It's the Mormon harelip that just jumps out at you. Not saying they aren't wonderful people, just not handsome. All: if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a beard with no mustache.
    Last edited by dryheat; 04-11-2020 at 09:55. Reason: t
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

My Amish friends are not that much different from the "English" of the world...just a few exceptions. To them any picture is a graven image to be avoided as being against scripture. Now if some takes their picture it is not on their head. The Amish are different, not special in any way nor do they want to be special. I enjoy their culture as a more simple yet harder way of life.
    As I told their team leader he and I work TOGETHER not he for me. My contract with Issac was a handshake and our word of bond.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    My Amish friends are not that much different from the "English" of the world...just a few exceptions. To them any picture is a graven image to be avoided as being against scripture. Now if some takes their picture it is not on their head. The Amish are different, not special in any way nor do they want to be special. I enjoy their culture as a more simple yet harder way of life.
    As I told their team leader he and I work TOGETHER not he for me. My contract with Issac was a handshake and our word of bond.
    Sam
    It use to be the Amish would not have anything to do with electricity or line phones. They wanted no connection to the outside world. I assume the Amish you are using are using electric power tools. Are they "over" this?

I would hire them too it they were available where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
    It use to be the Amish would not have anything to do with electricity or line phones. They wanted no connection to the outside world. I assume the Amish you are using are using electric power tools. Are they "over" this?

I would hire them too it they were available where I live.
    Yes and no. Issac is of a strict Pennsylvania Dutch sect which does not have electricity/phones in their home. Nothing has been said outside of the home for phones. Issac has a small telephone shed on his farm with a phone to it for his business interest. They can use but not own electrical power tools as this is O.K. with their Elder's of the Church. I have on "loan" to them one of my power saws to use on the job site.
    Their contact is minimal, usually business and I have been lucky to have a peak into their way of life as Issac and my other friends are very guarded.
    Sam