Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Hey Tom,
    That's more than speculation, this shotgun has a history. The Real Deal.
    Shipped the same week as Pearl Harbor.
    To think, someone, almost 80 years ago, noted down this little factoid in a ledger.
    It was used a few times for accounting and such, maybe. Until Now.
    It becomes The useful fact to identify A shotgun in That shipment.
    This shotgun Is history. I'll just admire it all the more. Chopped up as it may be. It's a Hella Shotgun!

Some Questions:
    easy one first;

What was the original butt plate like?

Did Roy L. Brolin stamp it before it left Ithaca ?

Was the UNITED STATES PROPERTY stamped at Springfield Armory?

Are there any other known shotguns in this lot stamped with UNITED STATES PROPERTY ?
    ie: Is the shotgun that scosgt owns, in this lot as well?

Are all 200 separate serial Numbers listed in the record for Dec. 12, 1941?

What did Springfield Armory do with the 200 sporting shotguns?

Well, thats enough for now.
    If I think of any more, I'll keep 'em to myself. for now.
    What reference book would you recommend.?
    Thanks,
    Stay Well.
    jm

2. Default

The actual inspector was a Colonel or general and did not personally stamp anything.
    The acceptance marks were done at Ithaca.
    It is unknown where the US Property marks were done, they appear to be factory. Possibly that particular work order specified it, and later to save money they no longer bothered.
    Or maybe SA did not like the fact they were not US marked so they did it.
    No one knows. Later Ithacas only have the RLB (and in one rare case FJA).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Doniphon View Post
    I have data on one with the "United States Property" mark on both the receiver and barrel as well as P proof marks on the receiver and barrel, but no other martial markings (i.e., no RLB or Ordnance bomb marks).
    Mine has both, I think it is from the same batch.

3. Default

The butt plate should be hard rubber with horizontal lines between the screws and marked "Ithaca Gun Co. Inc." above the lower screw.

Don't know if any of the other guns in the shipment were marked with the "United States Property" mark. It seems that only some very early Model 37s were marked that way. As scogt mentioned, later long barreled Model 37s (and trench guns) are marked with an RLB inspector mark, Ordnance bomb and P proof on the receiver and a P proof on the barrel.

Yes, the serial number of all 200 guns in the shipment are listed in the records.

4. Default

Thanks You Guys,
    This is extraordinarily interesting to me.

It seems that our UNITED STATES PROPERTY marked M37 Ithaca's are part of a very small club.
    I do not have a proof "P" on the barrel. The "Proof Tested" stamp looks like Ithaca's factory mark to me.
    M37 Barrel markings .jpg

Interestingly, is if I look right between the barrel and the mag tube
    there is something the size of a serial number on the barrel
    that has been defaced or obscured with a curved gouge, making several short strokes.
    I should take the barrel off and investigate.

I'd like to find a good reproduction cannalured (corncob) wooden fore end and stain it to match the stock.
    Any Ideas as to where to find one that would fit a 1941 era M37.

I remember seeing repro hard plastic butt plates on line. Too many for me to know what one to get.
    I don't think I'd put a hard butt plate on it. I like to shoot it too much. But I know what to look for now, if I did.
    I'd put a thinner, contemporary, soft butt pad on it as the length of pull is a little long for me.

Thanks Again,
    Take Care,
    Stay Well.
    jm
    Last edited by John Mello; 04-07-2020 at 08:23.

5. Default

The barrel and receiver should have matching serial numbers.
    If it is mismatched it is not considered safe to shoot, although by this time that is probably water under the bridge.

6. Default

Hey scosgt,
    I found a photo that shows the gouge marks near the serial number.

The sun came out a little today so I went outside to take some new photographs
    of the current "Reigning Queen" of my martial arms.
    I wanted to see the whole gun and the colorful grain in the stock.
    M37 serial No. .jpgM37 left long SUN .jpgM37 right long SUN .jpgM37 right butt .jpgM37 left butt .jpg
    Almost got it.

Thanks,
    Stay Well,
    jm

Blog Entries

Tom , Can you check serial No. 48603 , it has the same markings on the receiver that John Mello described on his shotgun . Mine has matching Ser. No. on barrel and receiver , no choke markings , " P " proof on barrel and barrel is 20" in length . Thank you . Carl

8. Default

I suspect the gouge marks are from where the barrel was held in a vice to install the choke.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62match View Post
    Tom , Can you check serial No. 48603 , it has the same markings on the receiver that John Mello described on his shotgun . Mine has matching Ser. No. on barrel and receiver , no choke markings , " P " proof on barrel and barrel is 20" in length . Thank you . Carl
    Carl, 48603 was shipped to Springfield Armory on Dec. 19, 1941. It was part of a 291 gun shipment, all of which were 12 gage 30 inch full choke barrel Model 37 shotguns.

Can you post any photos of the gun including the martial markings? And, what kind of proof tested mark is on the barrel? Is it the one with the word "Proof" in a semi-circle above the word "Tested", are the words "Proof Tested' part of the barrel address, or is there only a P proof mark? Thanks.
    Last edited by Tom Doniphon; 04-08-2020 at 10:49.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    I suspect the gouge marks are from where the barrel was held in a vice to install the choke.
    Maybe so. But, did you notice that the font style of the serial number on the barrel does not match the style of the number on the receiver? Maybe it's a replacement barrel that has been renumbered to the receiver.