Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default WWII Ithaca M37 - Was it a Training Shotgun ?

Hey Guys,
    I have an Ithaca M37 12 ga. shotgun that is not in its original configuration.
    Would you care to speculate on what that configuration was?

Some Background.
    I was working in a big shop and this guy says he's got a military shotgun from Viet Nam.
    Said, his dad had bought it many years ago at a flea market in Petaluma CA.
    After getting a brief description of it, and that it was an Ithaca M37, I gave him the $50 bucks he wanted for it on the spot.
    First thing I saw when I looked at it was the / UNITED STATED PROPERTY / P / R.L.B. with Ordnance Bomb / stamped into the receiver.
    I Was Smiling, Big Time.
    It has a deeply blued steel barrel and receiver with game scenes.
    A beautiful colored and grained butt stock with a checkered pistol grip capped with a black plastic cap.
    I was promised the wooden fore end and the other screw in chokes, but they never materialized.

In a June, 1995 article in "The American Rifleman" magazine, titled "World War II G.I. Shotguns", by Bruce Canfield, he writes on page 44,

"That in Nov. 1941, guns procured from Ithaca by the US government included commercial guns with engraved receiver game scenes."

He also has a photo of a 20 inch barreled M37 w/game scene and a checkered pistol grip and fore end.

In a May, 2015, article in "The American Rifleman" magazine, titled "Ithaca Earns Its Stripes" , by Bruce Canfield, on page 64,

he shows a photo of a long barreled training shotgun with game scene, checkered pistol grip and cannalured fore end.

a link to a Bruce Canfield article in The American Rifleman mag online
    ://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/18/the-ithaca-model-37-in-us-military-service/

M37 butt left .jpgM37 butt right.jpgM37 Choke .jpgM37 full lenth .jpgM37 left side .jpg

I wonder if my now, 18 inch barreled Ithaca M37, started out as a long gun, and was swept up in the WWII war effort
    and was later modified with the -PATTERNATOR- choke system, probably on the west coast.
    It was MFD. BY / WISLER WESTERN ARMS CO. / S.F. CAL.

I think it was a long gun because it had/has a full choked barrel. I don't think a 20 inch barreled riot gun would have a full choke.

It came to me with a Ithaca Gun Co. black plastic stock with a pistol grip like an AR-15 on it. The wood stock was in a paper bag.
    Makes me shudder to think that the beautiful butt stock could have been lost like the fore end was.
    It came with the, White Line / Trade Mark / Pachmayr Gun Works / Los Angeles 15, California U.S.A. marked butt pad.
    It might be old too but probably not original to the gun.

I feel very fortunate to have a martial shotgun in my modest martial arms collection. I had written it off as too expensive.
    I think that "if" it still had its long barrel and wooden fore end, it would be unique example of a martial shotgun.
    But I don't know, maybe there are lots of training shotguns still in existence.
    But there couldn't have been too many off these Ithaca Commercial / Martial shotguns to begin with.

Well, I will add 5 photos and see what you think.
    I have 3 more photos but I'll have to put them in a reply to my own post.

Thanks,
    Take Care - Stay Well,
    jm
    Last edited by John Mello; 04-05-2020 at 04:48. Reason: add link

2. Default

Hey Guys,
    Here are the 3 other photographs.

M37 R.L.B. + Ord Bomb + P .jpgM37 right side .jpgM37 ser No 508xx .jpg

I like to shoot this shotgun, It's So Smooth, and patterns 00 Buck Very Well.

Thanks,
    Take Care, Stay Well,
    jm
    Last edited by John Mello; 04-05-2020 at 02:37.

3. Default

As you suspect, it was originally a 30" barrel and the pad is not original.
    The thing that is interesting about this gun is the "United States Property" marking.
    Long barrel training guns with RLB marks are fairly common, the added "United States Property" marks are unusual.
    I have seen probably 4 of them over the years, and I own one of them.
    I would have to check the records, but I think this group was shipped to Springfield Armory, just before the war.
    As you suspect, it has zero collector interest due to the mods and condition, but enjoy shooting and owning it.

4. Default

Thanks scosgt for the reply.
    The possible Springfield Armory connection would make it's history even more interesting.
    All the photos in the Canfield articles show shotguns stamped with U.S., + the proof P, R.L.B. and the bomb.
    The plot thickens.
    As you can tell, I really like shotgun just as it is, so more history just sweetens the pot.
    Thanks Again,
    Stay Well,
    jm

5. Default

If you care to share the complete serial number one of us may be able to tell you exactly when it was shipped and to where.

6. Default

That would be Real Cool.
    I'm usually not shy about posting serial No. stuff.
    I'm new to this Forum though.
    It's 50842.
    I did not know information like that was known.
    I read yesterday online at American Rifleman's article archive,
    that Ithaca kept good records.
    I hope this is one of them.
    Thanks,
    Take Care,
    Stay Well,
    jm

7. Default

Serial No. 50842 was shipped from the factory on Dec. 12, 1941, to Springfield Armory, Springfield, Mass. It was part of a 200 gun shipment, all of which were 12 gage 30 inch barrel Model 37 shotguns.

8. Default

WOW!!!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Doniphon View Post
    Serial No. 50842 was shipped from the factory on Dec. 12, 1941, to Springfield Armory, Springfield, Mass. It was part of a 200 gun shipment, all of which were 12 gage 30 inch barrel Model 37 shotguns.
    And they may be the only ones with the dual markings, based on my observations over many years.

10. Default

I have data on one with the "United States Property" mark on both the receiver and barrel as well as P proof marks on the receiver and barrel, but no other martial markings (i.e., no RLB or Ordnance bomb marks).