Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

There are many more captains than there are captain billets particularly in the carrier world. FUMO.
    As a former member of SAC, I remember Iron A$$'s LeMay's mantra:
    " I refuse to accept the difference between the incompetent and the unfortunate for the results are always the same- failure!"
    Having served in the Navy during WWII and worked with and for the Navy for over 30 years I would have been surprised if the CO had not been relieved.
    Recently a F/A 18 squadron commander who was serving as the RIO on a F/A 18 was relieved because the pilot made a stupid maneuver.
    QED

2. Default

CO of Theodore Roosevelt
    Let me present the Theodore Roosevelt situation in a more succinct manner. The CO of the TR transmitted, intentionally, unintentionally or carelessly, Information through non secure communications (it was leaked to the press) information that indicated that there was a problem on one of the main weapons system of the Pacific Feet. There was the distinct possibility/probability that the problem was so serious that it may and could have escalated to the point that a major element of the USN in addition to the Pacific Fleet was ineffective. A nuclear powered air craft carrier is one of the most complex weapons system, in a very compact complex package. Confinement of personnel (while not as compact as the WWII cruisers on which I served) makes separation not an option.
    It has not been released which crew members were disabled, but there are few unimportant positions on a nuclear carrier.
    Had ADMR Halsley (in the clear) transmitted that his fleet had been severely damaged by typhoons in the Pacific in WWII, the Japanese Navy could have taken advantage of the situation and prolonged the Pacific War.
    Maintaining secrecy in these tumultuous time id of prime importance.
    IMHO
    FWIW

My own thought is that it was policy that sent that ship to Da Nang, to show the flag in the South China Sea. Orders came down the chain of command, through CNO and there was a flag officer on board. There is plenty of blame to go round. I'm not going to argue about the email 'cause the facts are less than clear. I did listen to Acting Secretary Modley's speech and have to say he covered himself and the Navy with something other than glory. That whiney, nasal, prep-school voice, and th stuff he said. He did get a reaction from the sailors.

He needs to get back to the private sector.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    My own thought is that it was policy that sent that ship to Da Nang, to show the flag in the South China Sea. Orders came down the chain of command, through CNO and there was a flag officer on board. There is plenty of blame to go round. I'm not going to argue about the email 'cause the facts are less than clear. I did listen to Acting Secretary Modley's speech and have to say he covered himself and the Navy with something other than glory. That whiney, nasal, prep-school voice, and th stuff he said. He did get a reaction from the sailors.

He needs to get back to the private sector.

jn
    He probably will!
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    He probably will!
    Sam
    Reports he resigned today.
    Sam

Time to hire another temp.

Maybe these folks can help.

https://www.kellyservices.us/us/busi...ing-expertise/

7. Default

Without comments here is an analyse of the Crozier memo:
    https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...is_115179.html
    FWIW

Blog Entries

His (former) crew is getting help. Nothing else to know.

He's put more on the line than most anyone in favor or in opposition of his actions.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

9. Default

31 Mar 2020
    Stars and Stripes | By Corey Dickstein
    WASHINGTON -- The Defense Department has ordered commanders at all of its installations worldwide to stop announcing publicly new coronavirus cases among their personnel, as the Pentagon said Monday that more than 1,000 U.S. military-linked people had been sickened by the virus.

The order issued by Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Friday is meant to protect operational security at the Defense Department's global installations, Jonathan Hoffman, the Pentagon's chief spokesman, said in a statement Monday. He said Defense Department leaders worried adversaries could exploit such information, especially if the data showed the outbreak impacted U.S. nuclear forces or other critical units.
    FWIW

I don’t think it’s in any manual but I certainly heard it many times from our cadre ncos and officers when I was in ROTC:
    MISSION BEFORE MEN!