Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default USS Theodore Roosevelt

15 days ago the ship put in a port call at Da Nang. Now there are Covid-19 cases on board, the ship is docked in Guam, and the captain is calling for the Navy to fix this problem for him.

15 days ago they didn't understand the risk of even one case coming on board?

What is it about Vietnam that brings out such poor judgement by our military?

Man, when sailors go ashore they catch diseases! Vietnam, Punta Arenas, Mazatlan, Curacao, that's the way it has always been. VD mostly. The Coronavirus, you don't want it on shipboard at all cause it spreads like wildfire.. I don't know about on a CVA, but the ships I servd on the berthing areas were packed, sailors in racks 3 high and barely enough room to get in and out when your watch came up.

If it were my ship I'd spread the men out at least, and try to get some extra HMs and doctors assigned.

jn

3. Default

Served twice on that ship. Absolutley zero chance of any form of "social distancing". Captain now wants the entire crew off for a proper quarantine and to sanitize the ship. I would agree with that plan.

Was the skipper unaware of the global pandemic? Sort of got to wonder about the wisdom of liberty in an asian port when the ship was at sea to begin with and completely isolated... Jim

Hindsight is always 20/20.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

What jmm said. By mid March it's not hindsight.

Here's the latest on the cva TR. Looks like the Navy is taking this seriously and doing what they can to keep the whole crew from getting sick.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52128199

jn

8. Default

Read somewhere else that the Captain might get relieved. Frankly, IMO, the memo he wrote should have been classified.

- - - Updated - - -

The Captain might get relieved

Togor, the Captain was relieved today.

Quote Originally Posted by John Peeff View Post
    Togor, the Captain was relieved today.
    $5 bucks says the President has his eye on this event.
    Sam