Default Wondering about a scope for my 52c

We have a few old duffers shooting benchrest with vintage .22 target rifles with the old long tube scope sights. I was thinking I might do the same with my old college gun. I looked up this guy Greiner, anyone have any experience with him? I considered putting a Picatinny rail atop the existing scope blocks I guess a gunsmith could make some long screws to make that happen but the old scopes look right. Any thoughts on what scope would be best - I am thinking of turkey hunting, would guess 10x would be the max, obviously hunting off a dead rest out of a blind.... head shots!

Any modern reproduction scopes?
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 03-26-2020 at 09:33.

Blog Entries

any Unertl, Lyman, Fecker etc under 10x tend to bring a bit of a premium now,
    the vintage sniper crowd tends to buy them up quickly,

not saying you cannot get one if one is patient,

I had to look up Greiner,, and he is who I thought he was,

http://unertl.alexweb.net/

never heard a bad thing about him,
    tho I have also never bought from him,

ebay is another option for the scopes,
    Vianni made a pic rail that screwed in the original scope block holes, and to the sight mount in the rear of the receiver for a handful of target guns so you did not have to D&T the receiver,

also look for Litshert, and the newer (ha!) Davis Spot Shots (Davis took over after Litschert passed)

I have a 16x Unertl, an handful of Lyman's, and a Davis Spot Shot for my various target guns,
    smallbore guys leanded toward the Lyman's due to the weight (they are a small bit lighter than the Unertl)

Griff, you might want to contact this fellow: Ken Viani, e mail: Ken 1855@hotmail.com
    I purchased a scope mount for my 513T Remington. No problems, quality work and I have no regrets.

Address: 8928 N. McVicker, Morton Grove, IL 60053.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMOhio View Post
    Griff, you might want to contact this fellow: Ken Viani, e mail: Ken 1855@hotmail.com
    I purchased a scope mount for my 513T Remington. No problems, quality work and I have no regrets.

Address: 8928 N. McVicker, Morton Grove, IL 60053.
    is he still making them?

My C model still has the original scope mount blocks which I never used. Greiner lists many scopes complete with mounts. The vintage look appeals.

But.... Suddenly my income has come to a screeching halt and I really don’t need to be buying anything!

My C model still has the original scope mount blocks which I never used. Greiner lists many scopes complete with mounts. The vintage look appeals.

But.... Suddenly my income has come to a screeching halt and I really don’t need to be buying anything!

7. Default

Giff Murphey, you can say that again? Wait, you did.

F. Guffey

Oops

9. Default Scope mts for 52, hra m12

Ken Vianni is not making mounts anymore.

Go to CMP Forum - Smallbore - top of page -as of 7-20 and refer to Superx-m1 post re Is HRA M12 a collectible? A few other posts touch on this issue of scope mounts.

I have a 1 1/2 inch 14x Unertl and it would be clumsy and hard to use on turkey because it is a large unit with narrow field of view. Great for woodchucks except that the coyotes have killed most of them in Ohio.

There is an 8 or 10x repro long tube ( I think it is a long tube with target mounts) being made and used by the 1903 and m1 sniper rifles in cmp competition. One version is ok, one is maybe prone to break. Go to CMP Forums and look in the 1903 forum and garand forum.

Well, the op was 3.26.20 and this is 8 .01.20 so my post a bit late for him to utilize.

Edit: 8-05-20 HiLux usmc 8X unertl clone with unertl type mounts is the best one.
    Last edited by SUPERX-M1; 08-05-2020 at 02:25. Reason: added info