Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Krag Pressure Test Rifle

In the interest of stirring up some interest in odd ball Krags, here is a pressure test device I found several years ago. As I understand it, one would drop in a few small spheres into the receptacle which would be deformed on firing and this would give some indication of the pressure generated in the chamber.Attachment 47283Attachment 47284Attachment 47285Attachment 47286
    Last edited by Kragrifle; 03-22-2020 at 10:37.

Neat rifle, thanks for posting

very cool indeed sir. are there any markings on the rifle?

Very interesting

5. Default

The dove tail in the top of the bolt sleeve is interesting. Wonder what it was for?

As I understand it, one would drop in a few small spheres into the receptacle which would be deformed on firing and this would give some indication of the pressure generated in the chamber.
    The "copper crush" method of pressure testing. Copper pellet of known diameter, it takes "X" amount of pressure to deform it "X" amount in measurement. Now they use electronic devices of greater accuracy. Older reloading manuals list pressures as CUP, copper units of pressure. Newer information just list pressures, but not exactly how done. Sometimes the two methods don't exactly cross reference. Kinda like using black powder substitute; you can measure by volume, but if weighed, the charges are different.

Thanks for showing us Kragrifle ! Neat piece !!

FWIW,

Emri
    Last edited by Emri; 03-23-2020 at 07:55.

Now THAT is something you don't see every day!

jn

8. Default

Receiver is an early 1898. Serial number does not have a hit. Stock is a shortened, likely damaged 1896 rifle stock. There is a small hole in the left side of the receiver for ?. Barrel is a shortened rifle barrel.Attachment 47295