Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 1903 Remington bolts

I am trying to list characteristics of bolts for the 1903 Remington rifles. Listing characteristics,

Size of vent hole

R marks under bolt handle, which size is correct for early/later/ 03A3 rifles

Extractor characteristics

Three position vs no top indent sleeve

Safety markings

Thanks to anyone who can help.

have you gone to Vi Shooter's 1903 page ?

Quote Originally Posted by k arga View Post
    have you gone to Vi Shooter's 1903 page ?
    Great page for visual differences, but no measurements which I believe he is looking for.

You haven't begun to scratch the surface. Remington made tons of design and marking changes in their bolts. It's almost like no two are alike.

J.B.

5. Default

Hmmm, any absolutes?

6. Default

Hmmm, any absolutes?
    Don W. came over to check my pile of Bolts, He reported the markings on each bolt to a data base. I had little interest in in the markings. My interest in the bolts had to do with the effect each one had on off setting the length of the chamber. My favorite 03 bolt is the one that shortens the length of the chamber

At the time Don W. had close to 100 bolts; he needed a bolt that would shorten the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face; I offered to check all of his bolts with the understanding I knew he did not have a bolt that would shortend the chamber .0025".

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Hmmm, any absolutes?
    All Remington-made bolts have curved handles. And they're all marked with an "R". Existence of early Remington-made straight-handle bolts is a myth.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 03-23-2020 at 10:50.

8. Default

Don W. came over to check my pile of Bolts, He reported the markings on each bolt to a data base.
    All of my 03 and 03A3 bolts are not Remington, And then there is the bolt handle, I have one bolt with a straight bolt handle. Straight does not mean the bolt handle is straight, it means the bolt handle is not bent back.

F. Guffey

9. Default

Thanks John

- - - Updated - - -

Straight handle are early pre WW1 Springfield and all original Rock Island rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Thanks John

Straight handle are early pre WW1 Springfield and all original Rock Island rifles.
    Well not exactly true. The last Rock Island bolts were curved handle. And since Remington got Rock Island's tooling, their first bolts were also curved handle just like the last Rock Island bolts.

J.B.