Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 52-2

1. Default S&W Model 52-2

Several weeks ago I glommed something that has been on my wish list for a long time...A model 52. It landed at my FFL a few days ago and I got a chance to look it over before it went into his safe for the mandatory 10 day "cooling-off" period.

The auctioneer told me that it had been owned by a local collector who had passed away and was in excellent shape. After looking it over, I had to agree...

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Very accurate pistol, there were a few special lead bullet designs just for the Model 52
    Last edited by RCS; 03-16-2020 at 02:13.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Very accurate pistol, there were a few special lead bullet designs just for the Model 52
    Thanks, RCS. I've been patiently waiting for years for an affordable M52-2 to come along and it finally did.

I've got a few boxes of Federal GMM wad cutters to shoot in this. What are the special bullets like?
    Last edited by Calfed; 03-16-2020 at 02:28.

You can buy Stateline bullets that are designed only for the S&W Model 52, they are the type 1 wad cutter at 144 grs

The Lyman type 1 WC mould #358063 was also made for the S&W Model 52

Back when dirt was young, a friend bought a brand new, early M52.
    At the range, the gun failed to fire many times! Not always, . . .just most times!
    Come to find out, the fire pin was making VERY LIGHT strikes on the primer. (Very frustrating to my “non-mechanical-minded” friend).
    I took the fire pin spring out, and, believe it or not, . . . I replaced it with a shortened, lighter, spring from a cheap, retractable ball point pen!
    Worked like a charm! So far as I know, that spring is STILL in the weapon!
    I’ve since saved all those light springs from those pens when the ink supply was gone!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    You can buy Stateline bullets that are designed only for the S&W Model 52, they are the type 1 wad cutter at 144 grs

The Lyman type 1 WC mould #358063 was also made for the S&W Model 52
    Thanks, RCS

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Back when dirt was young, a friend bought a brand new, early M52.
    At the range, the gun failed to fire many times! Not always, . . .just most times!
    Come to find out, the fire pin was making VERY LIGHT strikes on the primer. (Very frustrating to my “non-mechanical-minded” friend).
    I took the fire pin spring out, and, believe it or not, . . . I replaced it with a shortened, lighter, spring from a cheap, retractable ball point pen!
    Worked like a charm! So far as I know, that spring is STILL in the weapon!
    I’ve since saved all those light springs from those pens when the ink supply was gone!
    That is hilarious. Who would have thought.

7. Default

LGS has a 52-2 for sale. Not mine, don't know anything about. If you are envious.

https://salidagunshop.com/latest-used-guns
    Last edited by barretcreek; 03-25-2020 at 04:12.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    LGS has a 52-2 for sale. Not mine, don't know anything about. If you are envious.

https://salidagunshop.com/latest-used-guns
    Not a bad price.

I got mine for $620, plus a 10% "Buyers Premium". It came with the box, paperwork and original grips, but no magazines.

Luckily I glommed two magazines at a different auction for $140 for the pair...

9. Default

Back in day the S&W Model 52 and the Colt National Match .38 Wadcutter were the cat's PJ. (For the younger generations, if you do not know what a cat's PJ are, Google it, LOL) When I shot competition back in the 1980 early 90's, I used a Colt National Match and always wanted a S&W Model 52. I finally found one new in the box for $1,200 out of MN. I have found that both pistols when found for sale are either shot the *hit out of or brand new in the box. Finding the magazines for the S&W Model 52 with steel followers are the really hard part. Both are great pistols, still use both of them on occasion.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    Back in day the S&W Model 52 and the Colt National Match .38 Wadcutter were the cat's PJ. (For the younger generations, if you do not know what a cat's PJ are, Google it, LOL) When I shot competition back in the 1980 early 90's, I used a Colt National Match and always wanted a S&W Model 52. I finally found one new in the box for $1,200 out of MN. I have found that both pistols when found for sale are either shot the *hit out of or brand new in the box. Finding the magazines for the S&W Model 52 with steel followers are the really hard part. Both are great pistols, still use both of them on occasion.
    Thanks, fjruple. I've managed to collect a few magazines, several with the metal follower, several with the plastic follower. Have the plastic followers been known to cause problems?