Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 4x4 truck hunting again

Our daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee just left the garage and our mechanic said to find a replacement. Went our looking today and got STICKER SHOCK!!! New one's price is outstanding and very little in used. Samantha wants a PU and I could not find anything that would not cost and arm and a leg. Going to continue to look at other 4x4 other then PU. Any suggestions short of robbing a bank?
    Sam

I kind of like the 02-07 Subaru Forester. I'm thinking of selling my Sportage and getting one. It's got a real AT, not a CVT. That generation of Forester is fairly light, has a good roofline and plenty of glass. It is a pretty decent hunting rig and has a good reliability record. Look for one that was woman-owned and dealer-maintained. I prefer a manual shift but all th Jap and Korean 4 bys have tiny, car-size clutches. I smoked the one on my Sportage w/o half trying. I go for the AT anymore.

Or look for one of these.

Good luck!

jnportland_jeep (2).jpg

Chevy Colorado is a mid sized PU, available used. If my 20 year old Dakota gives up to the ghost then that's where I'd look for my next firewood truck. I don't buy Fords and have grown accustomed to GM quirks. And they're cheaper on maintenance than the Jap trucks.

The new Wrangler PUs are interesting but spendy. But other Jeeps are priced accessibly.
    Last edited by togor; 03-13-2020 at 07:48.

My clinic bought fleet maintained used vehicles for us to use, I was issued a 2008 Ford Taurus. I was never a Ford person having owned many Jeep's or Chrysler vehicles. I refuse to buy GM because of the moronic "daylight running lights" that they have. If one does not have enough intelligence to know when to turn the lights on, should they be driving? I recently purchased a Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4 with a construction topper and the vehicle is outstanding. Except for the blown plug I have had no problems with it at all. My new mechanic appears to be on the ball and has serviced our fleet of vehicles for our Church for 15 years. He is quick and reasonable as well. Keep the suggestions coming and nice picture Jon.
    I showed my daughter a picture of an Army surplus 6x6 to see what she would say. Her only comment was, "Is diesel cheaper?"
    Sam

Blog Entries

Toyota makes a good pickup, my 2000 Tundra is still going strong,

however they are pricey, and resale (ditto subaru) is very good, for the seller,

my brother has had nothing but Ford's with out any issues, and I know folks that have Chevy's w/o major issues either,

"...would not cost and arm and a leg..." Any of 'em that are brand new will cost that. Saw a girlie(no more standard transmissions in Fords) BNIB, 4 door, 4X4, F-150, several years ago that had a price sticker on it of 70 grand Cdn, before taxes and the rest of the government cash grabs.
    "..."Is diesel cheaper?"..." The fuel might be(it isn't always up here), but the vehicles are not. The diesel engine option can run 4 grand to 11 grand. And they cost more to maintain.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Daytime running lights on GM are not an issue. In my view if it helps keep a distracted driver from crossing to my side of the centerline then it's all good. My WK2 also has them, no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    Toyota makes a good pickup, my 2000 Tundra is still going strong,

however they are pricey, and resale (ditto subaru) is very good, for the seller,

I like the smaller Toyota the one they call Tacoma now. Even it is too big anymore. My brother and nephew both have older, righ-size ones and they have been handy in the woods plus reliable (except, again for the puny, small-car-size clutch.)

jn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I like the smaller Toyota the one they call Tacoma now. Even it is too big anymore. My brother and nephew both have older, righ-size ones and they have been handy in the woods plus reliable (except, again for the puny, small-car-size clutch.)

jn
    good friend has a 14 taco,
    it is about the same size as my Tundra, (2000),
    I have just a bit more room inside than he does, and maybe few inches wider,

the new tundra's, Chevy's Fords etc are way to big in my opinion,

I see some of the offerings in other countries and wonder what it would take to get one here, and be able to drive it on the highway,,

I just picked up a off lease f150 4x4 for 28000 .Very low miles and with the way things are going the deals might be better.