Default Remington 1903 question

I have come across a New Zealand marked Remington 1903 with early features, including a really nice grasping groove stock with clear RLB cartouche. NZ inventory number on the butt stock. The stock has virtually no wear with sharp edges, raised grain and clear markings. All the parts are Remington and are milled as expected. The rear stock band is blued but has the rougher unpolished finish. The bolt body is smooth without the milling cuts and has the large gas escape hole. It has a dusky blue finish with a little wear from cycling. The screws are all blued and have not been turned out. Nothing has been refinished on the rifle, and I would rate the finish on all parts in the high 90s. The only unusual feature is the barrel date of 12-41 and serial number of 303xxxx, which puts it about feb/march of 42. As scarce as they are, it would be easier to find and buy a complete early Remington 1903 than to assemble something like this from parts. How did a rifle with this serial number end up in this configuration?

I'm not sure that I understand your question. Can you be more specific?

J.B.

3. Default

Hi Mitchell
    If you decide to pass on this rifle and it is still for sale PLEASE send me the contact!��

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell6776 View Post
    . . . . .How did a rifle with this serial number end up in this configuration?
    It ended up in this configuration because it was manufactured that way!

You do realize, I hope, that Remington’s production of the ‘03, STARTED at #3,000,000.

Therefore, only slightly more than 30,000 serials were struck before yours.

I guess my question was pretty vague.. I thought the early features, the grasping groove stock and lightening cuts in the rear sight base in particular, were dropped from production well before this serial number. There is a also a 2-3 month discrepancy between barrel date and serial number on this rifle, which seemed a little odd.

. . . . .There is a also a 2-3 month discrepancy between barrel date and serial number on this rifle, which seemed a little odd.
    This discrepancy is considered quite normal (in the eyes of collectors).

I guess my question was pretty vague.. I thought the early features, the grasping groove stock and lightening cuts in the rear sight base in particular, were dropped from production well before this serial number. There is a also a 2-3 month discrepancy between barrel date and serial number on this rifle, which seemed a little odd.
    Remington began phasing out grasping groove stocks around S/N 3025000. But a trickle of grasping-groove stocks, probably shop re-works, continued on well past S/N 3035000. And the same holds true for barrels. So the rifle is not that unusual.

If you happen to examine the rifle again, I would appreciate the complete serial number and the New Zealand marking number and prefix. You can PM that to me if you wish. Thanks!

J.B.

I have come across a New Zealand marked Remington 1903 with early features...
    Any update on this one, Mitchell?
    'Curious to know if you were able to get this rifle before the current world pandemic began.
    4th Bn. / 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment,
    82nd Abn. Div.,

1986-1990