Default win mod 12 trench heat shield

I got mod 12 ser no 1031542 that I need the heat shield for, but never have seen an orig and being able to id one might be hard to do. I've looked but hard to find good pics, could one of you guys post a couple to help me out so not to make a very expensive mistake?

thanks kurt

2. Default

Your gun is parkerized, right? That would have been the original finish. You need a Winchester heat shield/bayonet adaptor that is parkerized with four rows of cooling holes and is marked with a "W" on the left side of the bayonet lug. The link below will take you to an old auction of one with some photos. The screws for the adaptor on these original finish parkerized guns were usually blued, not parkerized.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...nch-1800942339

Thanks Tom that's what I've been trying to find, now that I know what to look for gotta find one.
    gun is as it should be just missing shield.
    my son will be here sunday will get him to post some pics.

4. Default

Good luck. You will probably encounter more hen's teeth on your journey than one of those.

5. Default

After reading this I had to pull mine out of the safe and look at it. Number 1007826. Maybe parkerized originally, but an RIA Vietnam era rework/refinish. New nice heavy walnut RIA marked butstock. Four row heat shield, Probably early with the lug marked "pat appl for". Parkerized screws. At least the numbers on both halves still match.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rbtf70 View Post
    After reading this I had to pull mine out of the safe and look at it. Number 1007826. Maybe parkerized originally, but an RIA Vietnam era rework/refinish. New nice heavy walnut RIA marked butstock. Four row heat shield, Probably early with the lug marked "pat appl for". Parkerized screws. At least the numbers on both halves still match.
    So the bad news:
    1. NOT originally parkerkized. Those serials start around 10030000. So not even close.
    2. Adapter is WWI, not correct for your gun.
    3. Not a Vietnam rework. They did rework guns after WWII to make them compliant, it may have started life as a riot that was converted. The adapter is almost 100% guaranteed NOT to have been put on by ordinance. They ran out of them in 1918.

7. Default

1007826 is in the early trench gun serial number range, but it could have been a riot gun. Because Model 12 riot gun barrels have a smaller muzzle end diameter than the trench barrels, when they converted riot guns to trench guns using the riot barrel they put a sleeve on the muzzle end to make the bayonet adaptor fit properly. Can you see a sleeve or shims on the muzzle end of the barrel?

8. Default

Definitely no sleeve or shim. Just the adapter around the barrel. Barrel is dated 43. Barrel and receiver numbers match, but the butt-stock was replaced with new RIA marked wood. Obviously refinished and the heat shield was probably replaced at rebuild. I had a typo on the serial. Should be 1007836. Maybe RIA got in many of guns to rebuild and had some early adapters that were parkerized and reused for rebuild.

I have a Model 12 Riot, SN 971983 with a 42 marked barrel, and it is definitely smaller. Barrel mics at 0.820". The trench gun barrel measures about 0.860". Difficult to be exact with the micrometer due to the adapter.