Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 of 13 receivers left to assemble into M14s

These are the remainder of the 13 receivers I picked up last Fall for my Winter projects. With Winter drawing to a close it would seem only fitting that these be assembled into working M14 type rifles. I am thinking these should be traditional builds with chrome lined standard weight barrels which I snagged out of the stash earlier this morning. Bolts have been fitted and I am ready to go.
    Whatta Hobby!

Last edited by nf1e; 02-29-2020 at 05:02.

Well, Rock-Ola 146 became a rifle this morning. Dropped it in one of my IDF sniper stocks.

Down to the last receiver. I am doing a little something different, as a project, with this one.
    Trying to create a 10 dot challenge rifle using a standard M14 type receiver. This will be a first for me. I started out using an LRB M25 with a Kreiger heavy barrel in .308 5 years ago, then went to a Bula Defense Systems XM21 version #1 which had a removable rail like the M25 and a Bula ultra heavy barrel in .308, finally I used a Bula XM21 version #2 with rail machined as part of the receiver and an ultra heavy Bula 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.
    Using a standard receiver will require the use of a side mount for the optics. I have chosen a Sadlak for this purpose as they have proven to be the most stable of all side mounts.
    Got a good start on the barreled action this afternoon. Bula Defense Systems standard receiver heel marked James River Armory with a Bula bolt and an ultra heavy Bula barrel in .308. Still need to add M1 rear sight, a bolt stop and connector pin. Other than that she has been barreled , headspaced to 1.632 and fitted to a very tight birch usgi stock.

Finishing up my new standard receivered 10 dot challenge rifle. Plenty of chopping and chewing to fit the monster barrel into the USGI birch stock and lots for grinding on the underside of the handguard to get it to set down where it belongs. Installed the Sadlak optics mount so she is ready for a test run. I like to let the loctite set for a day so it looks like tomorrow for testing. That gives me some time to check out and decide what optic she will be crowned with. Whatta Hobby!

Blog Entries

interesting front sight arrangement on that one

Because of the huge OD of this barrel, a proprietary gas lock front sight is required. Thanks again Bula.

IMG_3513.jpg

Getting ready for her first function tests on my range. Chose the Leatherwood M1200-XLR 6-24x50mm for her first bonnet. Scope sits a bit high for my liking, but we'll see how it performs in the 10 dot challenge. The TAC-PRO cheek riser, in it's uppermost postion, will handle the altitude very nicely.

8. Default

Very nice!

10 shots at 100 yds during function testing. I think once things get snugged up and I pay more attention to cant it will be a decent shooter. High scope presents some obstacles.

Blog Entries

does Leatherwood make a shorter version of that mount?

looks like it is basically a universal, as in for any picatinny rail