Default Picked up my CMP M1911A1 today

Last Thursday I got a call from CMP to purchase a pistol. I had given up hope because I had too high a number to be eligible. Lucky me for a change. Went to local FFL picked up and took her home. A lot of money to me but I am very pleased. I requested a Ithaca but was sent a Remington Rand ser. no 1374210. I am the about as clueless as one can be with these pistols, but mine looks to be like brand new. Can any of the experts tell me what I have and what research I can do? Thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Last Thursday I got a call from CMP to purchase a pistol. I had given up hope because I had too high a number to be eligible. Lucky me for a change. Went to local FFL picked up and took her home. A lot of money to me but I am very pleased. I requested a Ithaca but was sent a Remington Rand ser. no 1374210. I am the about as clueless as one can be with these pistols, but mine looks to be like brand new. Can any of the experts tell me what I have and what research I can do? Thank you
    post up the details and some pics

May I ask what you mean by details Sir? Also I do not know how to post photos on this forum

If the Remington Rand had been brand new condition it would have gone to auction. Would go out on a limb and say it has been refinished.

As to details, on the right side of the receiver it should have UNITED STATES PROPERTY, M 1911A1 U.S.ARMY, the serial number, and crossed cannon acceptance stamp. On left side of receiver it should have FJA, and a P proof mark. Nothing on right side of slide, and REMINGTON RAND, INC over SYRACUSE, N.Y. U.S.A. on left side of slide.

Are there any additional markings to these?

I've seen a lot of CMP 1911's and all of them look like they have been refinished.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    If the Remington Rand had been brand new condition it would have gone to auction. Would go out on a limb and say it has been refinished.

As to details, on the right side of the receiver it should have UNITED STATES PROPERTY, M 1911A1 U.S.ARMY, the serial number, and crossed cannon acceptance stamp. On left side of receiver it should have FJA, and a P proof mark. Nothing on right side of slide, and REMINGTON RAND, INC over SYRACUSE, N.Y. U.S.A. on left side of slide.

Are there any additional markings to these?
    Thank you Sir for the reply. I have all the markings as you say. Also have 6 on left side top of trigger guard and Q on right side top of trigger guard. I believe you are correct about refinish, all markings are somewhat faint. Ordinance crossed cannons almost illegible. Any idea the age of my pistol?

Remington Rand No.1374210 was shipped January 1944.

Thank you kind Sir