Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did USN gun shields in WW-2 need instructions?

"Do not stand in front of gun when it is operation"

"Ages 17 and up"
    Last edited by togor; 02-25-2020 at 02:48.

3. Default

USS California?

don't know what the instructions on the gun shield are for since they are unreadable on my 'puter. My brother, when he was touring the Alabama took a picture of the back of a gun shield for a 20mm Oerlikon; stenciled on it was "LEAD DAMN IT LEAD." That qualifies as an instruction .

I remember the claymore mines when I was in the Army, mid to late 60s, had "THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY" embossed on the front, I also saw some that had "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY." I like the first one better, some guys might have trouble telling which side is "front."

Hey, never underestimate the ability of the ordinary soldier (or sailor) to mess up. I went through basic with some really bright guys and some.....not so much.
    Last edited by Art; 02-25-2020 at 03:28.

5. Default

They said in the WWII Navy, "You can make it fool proof but you can't make it sailor-proof."
    Claymore mines had quite a back blast area.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 02-25-2020 at 08:22.

I've been on USCG Cutters and they have instruction on the shields like this.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

I remember training wth the 3 inch 'bazooka'. Instructor said there would be no recoil. Wrong, I got a black eye from the aiming device. Also the M40 grenade launcher.......target must be a least 10 yards away so that grenade could arm itself. In 'Nam, charlie always had fun turning the claymores around, front facing US!

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    uss california?
    uss gerald r. Ford cvn-76

Anyone caught up in a battle for their life might forget their own name. Panic often overcomes months of training. Many muskets found abandoned on Civil War battlefields had several unfired minie’ balls jammed into the barrel during a battle.
    Last edited by Merc; 02-28-2020 at 03:39.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    They said in the WWII Navy, "You can make it fool proof but you can't make it sailor-proof."
    Claymore mines had quite a back blast area.
    That's for sure. Lock a Bosun Mate or a Deck Ape in a compartment with a solid steel sphere and within two hours he will heve broken it or lost it.

jn